New water filter

Grandpa

I really don't consider myself much of a gear junkie. I usually make do with the stuff I have, although I researched the stuff I have before buying. For the last 10 or so years my primary water filter has been the Katydyne hiker pro. It has served me well as has Katydyne's customer service department. My katy has had a couple of break downs with all the usage but katydyne has aways replaced them free of charge, with no questions asked.

However, the $50 replacement filter is starting to be a pain. All it takes is one turbulent water source to really diminish the filters abilities. I even started carrying coffee filters to put over the inlet to filter out some of the larger particulates. But, on the advice of an acquaintance, I decided to look at another product.

Today, my new filter arrived from amazon and here is my opinions so far. I will have to wait for the weather to break to actually find some liquid as everything around here except the well water is pretty well frozen solid.

The Diercon tactical water microfilter filters to the standard six logs, 99.9999 % of water borne pathogens. It is a little smaller than my katy so output rate may be smaller but I will be testing them side by side, stroke for stroke shortly. When I took the package from the mailbox I was struck by how light the package was. As this unit has a steel case, BPA free, I was expecting more weight. But the intriguing part is the filtering itself. The filter comes apart so the carbon filter can be changed independent from the UF filter. The unit also came with a syringe complete with a fitting for back flushing the system. The complete unit on amazon was $57.87 compared to the hiker pro at $69. But instead of the fifty bucks for the Katy filter, you can get a six pack of carbon filters for $12.57 and the UF membrane filter for $17.89.

Time will tell how this unit will really work in the field but for now, I am anxious to give it a try. I like the looks and compactness of this unit and will be reporting how well it does its job.

Cappy

I have never been a filter guy and now that we car camp cant see needing one we often use the water tank in the camper and I have a rather expensive inline filter for it. it got tested at a camp ground over thanks giving when I filled the tank with camp ground water. It was later when I discovered the camp ground water was very hard and mineraly tasting. Several days later the flow in the faucet slowed to a trickle and I know the filter was in need of changing. I had a spare one so I changed it out. That was proof to me it was working. I really look forwards to your report Grandpa this sounds like it would be a great thing for the times like that. We could pump drinking water and use the hard water for potable service. The Rv filters are expensive I dont remember how much I just remember saying ouch when I got a replacement.

Jackie Cooper

Oh, sounds great. Looking forward to your report for this Diercon tactical water microfilter filters.