The Shoot The Bull Thread

Roybrew

Took a drive to an old abandoned ski resort yesterday. This is on top of Viking Mountain on the Tennessee and North Carolina border.
My wife remembers seeing the lights from it from her home miles away. Built in the early 60's
it offered skiing in the winter and pleasant cool summer getaways. But due to the treacherous mountain road up to it, they closed it down in the 70s. The road there turns off a well traveled highway, and is narrow black top for 4 miles. It then turns into dirt and gravel for another 4.5 miles to the top. Road was some muddy and rutted, but the little Subaru Outback had plenty of ground clearance and no trouble. I wouldn't want to try it in the winter. It's a little grown with underbrush, but there are some nice views of the Tennessee Valley
We left the car and hiked up to some cell towers for a better view. I wanted to drive and put the outback to the test, but she wouldn't let me. There wasn't any better view up there, but there was a trail head
This trail connected to the Appalachian trail maybe half mile out. Oh well, time to go home and take nap, then to work. Just another part of east Tennessee.

Cappy

Nice area and thanks for the report we are currently in up state NY by the finger lake region I will try to post some pics later.

jason

fear no beer
That is some nice country to visit. Could only imagine what it would look like with some snow.

Cappy

Well we drug our lil 18 ft camper up da road camping along the way till we got to western new your state. We set up in step sons drive way and have been visiting Peg's family,my step family. We had a great grand kid born 3 weeks ago very premature weighing in at barely a lb. WE have been worried and praying for him as he continues to struggle to live .

Typical trip few problems but nothing serious. hadda replace a vent cover on the camper which got brittle and cracked. Had a flat, and the big problem when we got here and got set up I closed the hatch on the suv and the back glass exploded into tiny glass pebbles. I got a few scratches when it went but not bad. We found a glass shop that found us a used glass and will come and install it tomorrow. Then its on the road to a grape festival in the finger lake region. It's the Naples grape festival if ya wanna google it. We plan to take pictures and when we get the blog written you guys will as always be the first to know. :beer3:

Cappy

Got the glass fixed today and we pull out tomorrow neva know when we get internet again may be off grid for a couple weeks but hopefuly have pics and a trip report when we back.

Cappy

Still on the road visiting and camping took lots of pics will get them on line when we get home. Learned a neat twist on smores. I dont like making them for the mess but I saw the grand kids dig out a bag of chocolate chip cookies they smashed toe marshmallows tween 2 chips ahoy cookies and went to munching. When I enquired their mom said hey its chocolte and cookie and way less messy so in my world smore 2.0 is born. still trashes ya weenie stick with goo though.

Roybrew

Pretty good day after a couple of stressful weeks. Dad had a mild stroke couple of weeks ago, so getting him to the hospital is like trying to get a mule to cooperate. Went over this morning to check on them, and I figured he's recovering very well when I saw mom toss him a bottle of vitamins from 4 feet away, and he caught it with no problem. So I went ahead and loaded the little canoe for a couple of hours of R&R.
river little low due to lack of rain, but still plenty warm outside.
fished the shady spots and caught a nice 3 pound smallie
picture wasn't great, didn't know it had so much glare. Walked some of the shoals and took a slelfie
Back at the ramp, ready to load and go home
Hoping in a couple weeks to get dad back out for some fall crappie fishing.

jason

fear no beer
I got kicked out of the house Saturday due to a baby shower my wife was hosting. Headed up to Jenkins Creek Park. It is a nice half hour or so drive from here. No one was having any luck it seemed. Not sure if it was from Nate going through or not. But it beat sitting at the house all day.

Simplify

After over six years in Arizona I have moved back to New England. There is a lot to like about Arizona but there is a lot to like about having four seasons also.

Cappy

Water valve on the toilet started leaking luckily we saw a big rv place on the way here. Got the toilet out and took the valve off early this morning and got a new one installed and leak fixed. Glad we had internet after watching a few helpful youtube videos it was a fairly easy fix. Just tight quarters to work.

Cappy

Drove through the southern tear of NY today fall colors at their peak it was rainy and dreary but still beautiful Got to the camp ground and the slide out wouldn't move.....GRRRRRR!!
Found the problem a 20A fuse and had a spare and fixed it. pouring down rain and naturally the first few things I checked fore I made it to the fuse box were outside. At least it smelt lots betta than the last repair I hadda do.

Cappy

Well after getting here in the rain getting set up and chasing the fuse problem I barely noticed the spot I had hurriedly pulled into. Went fixed supper and went to bed frustrated and exhausted. This morning after a cup of coffee I stepped out to enjoy the camp. We are on the bank of the Allegany river in the southern teir of NY. Still cloudy and wet with the trees dripping but quite pretty.

Cappy

looking at that last pic I see the quality really sux take m word for it its a goose and 2 ducks I am really unhappy with the quality so I will wait till I load hi-def pics from my camera till then ya gonna hafta use ya imagination with these grainy ones.

Roybrew

Well sounds like you had a few hic-ups along the way cappy, but now maybe you'll have smooth sailing. Nice pictures of a great looking camping spot.