Tent camping or bush craft camping??? Which do you prefer???

Jsharp865

Hey guys and gals just curious to what u all prefer?? I love the outdoors period but I've done my fair share of canvas tent camping, staying in my small off grid cabin, but recently we built a bush craft camp and I ha e to say I really enjoyed it, just the thing of building my own camp as if in a survival situation was awesome...here's a video of our camping trip...

Annabellam

I love the video. The whole idea of a bush craft camp seems exciting and especially if nicely done like that. I haven't tried that out yet but should be on my bucket list. Seems like you had fun, love it.

goforit75

That looks like a great time...in my younger days that is the way me and my friends camped, however; now a days don't think I would enjoy it as much, although I am regressing...sold the pop up and in the process of buying a tent, perhaps I will go full circle in a few years.

Jsharp865

I love the video. The whole idea of a bush craft camp seems exciting and especially if nicely done like that. I haven't tried that out yet but should be on my bucket list. Seems like you had fun, love it.
Yes it was a blast and nothing like laying outside by the fire being warm and still being able to stare up at the sky it was awesome for sure....you've gotta give it a go lol

Jsharp865

That looks like a great time...in my younger days that is the way me and my friends camped, however; now a days don't think I would enjoy it as much, although I am regressing...sold the pop up and in the process of buying a tent, perhaps I will go full circle in a few years.
I think I still may buy me a nice little 2 person tent.....we recently moved a small little cabin up on the land also....I want to be able to pick and choose how I want to spend the night lol

Grandpa

I never carried a tent while back packing in the mountains. I got my first packing tent for a trip to the So. Utah canyons. I didn't like the idea of a rattlesnake or scorpion cozying up to me while I slept. Then, more ladies started packing with us so I kept the tent for modesty reasons. I hate sleeping with my cloths on.

But when it's just me and the boys in the mountains, open air still reigns.

Northern Dancer

...for me the term "bush craft" means "ancient camping" and I don't confuse "survival camping" with the same. I actually enjoy "simple or uncomplicated" camping. So....I have nine tents; from three Alaknaks of different sizes, to canoe and backpacking tents to plain shelters and t-pees. I use them all for different circumstances only because modern technology can give me the same shelters of the past that are lighter, more durable, efficient and colourful.

Bacon, Beans and Perked Coffee on the other hand never change no matter the year! There were good in 1843 along the Yukon Trail as they are today on the Haliburton Trail.

Base Camp at Cannisbay Lake.

Base Camp at MacDonald Lake.

Under the tarp at evening time at Lake Lousie.

...and the 2017 ventures all start on May 22nd.

genry03

Never tried the bush craft camping, but I would love to. It looks fun and more thrilling.

Roybrew

I've always slept under a tarp or in a tent, but I won't rule any thing out for the future. I might try it some day.

ppine

Forester
Depends on the trip. In Death Valley we set up cots to get off the rocks and that is the camp. I am headed to a famous National Park in November and plan on staying in a wall tent with a wood stove the best of all possible worlds.

Cappy

Being from the swampy buggy south I have always been a shelter camper. Skeeter net over the boat jungle hammock with roof and sides or tent then pop up and now 18 ft ultra lite trailer.

SharBear

OMG Bushcraft camping would be great to really get out and enjoy nature. This is something I think I would like to do if someone would build the shelter for me. They should offer areas like this at different camp grounds.

ppine

Forester
Thanks for the video. If it were me I would make the shelters flatter to provide more weather protection You can build the lean-tos facing each other which is an ancient style for colder weather. Try sitting close to a much smaller fire. It is a lot less work. If you are going to go to the trouble of building a bushcraft shelter, why sleep on a pink cot? It is a lot of fun to mess around with bush craft. I like to wear buckskins and cook traditional food and make the whole camp look like the 1800s. White canvas works really well with bushcraft shelters and reflects a lot of light.

Cappy

As kids we made dome shaped camps kinda igloo shaped out of bamboo and palmetto palms. Then I got a tent then several second hand pop ups till we graduated to our lil camper. Enjoyed every stage of growing old and camping.

ppine

Forester
I just returned from camping yesterday on Thanksgiving morning. I was out with my best dog Ruby for a few days in the local forest. Tuesday night I was sound asleep when about 10 coyotes started up singing. Then three great horned owls started hooting. It was an animal symphony for about 20 minutes and then we all went back to sleep.

I was not that far out of town. A good friend came down from Reno to enjoy the fire and a nice dinner. After being out there for a day or two, it is great to have some company. It is my new routine. More camping near home and then inviting guests to dinner.

Cappy

Sounds like a great plan. We love to go to a state campground in the heart of cajun country. folks are frying fish etc etc and sharing with the other campers on week ends there is always an acoustic jam session we like getting there Sunday evening and staying all week fishing and enjoying the quiet camp ground then for the weekend visiting with other campers and swapping food samples. makes for a great week alone camping then party camping :beer3:

ppine

Forester
Our winter has been dry and cold. After the Holidays when we get some warmer weather I am going to set up the Baket tent and build a fire in front and cook in a Dutch Oven in the back yard. Just because it is so much fun.

Cappy

ya so right!! We cook out lots either BBQing or camp fire cooking or black iron etc when we cant go we stay and camp in our yard.

ppine

Forester
A good friend is having an outdoor New Year's party on his 42 acre farm. He just finished a 3 story timber framed house that looks like an old barn. The stove came from Sweden and takes up a whole wall. It only needs to run 2-4 a day to keep the huge place warm.

I am going to sleep in the back of my pick-up Nelliebelle. When the days get longer, I am heading to the low desert for some sleeping under the stars.