Backpacking and animals

Wildside

"The Wild side of life. It calls my name."
So I heard of goats as packers, llama's as packers, and then the obvious; mules and donkeys. Anyone do these things? I'd love to learn more about it. Somewhere down the line, I'm interested in a llama or a goat, but a donkey doesn't sound bad either.

What are the pro's and cons? Do you need to tie a llama up at night? I heard goats won't wander away.

I backpack with my dog, but she dislikes the packs built for her, chews 'em off. How about dogs? Do you guys put packs on your dogs?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Dogs don't make very good pack animals. Rottweilers were used back in Roman times as pack animals. Actually they used them to pull carts with provisions. When the provisions were used up they butchered the dogs for food. The name of the dog translates to "butcher dog". The Germans decided to save the breed but by then the breeding pool was a bit thin which is why most Rotts have a problem with hip displacea to date.

Mules and horses are your best bet. Donkeys are great but a tad stubborn and only of great use if you are traveling alone with just the donkey. A train of animals requires mules. They are strong and more surefooted than a horse. The reason is because a mule or a donkey can see its' hind feet and a horse can't (especially good on narrow paths through the mountains ).

For most trail rides, a horse works quite well. They can carry several hundred pounds at a walk all day. They will trail without complaint behind the one you are riding which can carry some extras if you're not a behemoth.

Llamas are good pack animals but they are obnoxious. If you piss them off they'll spit on you. Trust me, you don't want this.

Goats are good if you get a 300 pound Billy. He'll carry quite a bit for his size but he's easily distracted by food or the scent of a female in heat. The best thing if you have one is to do it the way the Romans did. Use him while you can and then butcher him for food. Goat is a fine meal.

I hope this helps but if you have a weak stomach you may not like it. By the way, llama is pretty tasty too.

Have a nice day.

ppine

Forester
I like packing animals. I have packed dogs with no problems for 35 years. They are my first line of defense.

I took packing schools from some famous guys like Lee Roeser and Bob Tanner back in the 1970s. I like to pack mules and ride them too. You only need one bell mare. Pack animals are usually not as broke as riding stock. Use plenty of caution around them. Every one wants to be packer until they see their first real wreck.

My cousin used to raise llamas and alpacas. He had hundreds of them at one time. I have been around them but never packed them. They are very easy to handle for novices. Be kind to them and there are few problems.

We have donkeys in the neighborhood. I like to hang with them. I have packed one donkey and my girl used to have a saddle donkey. They respond to kindness in a big way. Donkey s are the smartest of the equines, so you have to work with their brain power. It is the same with mules. They do not take to coercion, or rough handling. You need patience and then they start to really trust you. If an equine steps on your foot or knocks your hat off it is not an accident. They are trying to tell you something. You have to learn to speak their language.

dinosaur

troublemaker
As usual, I cannot disagree with ppine to any major extent. He is my friend but I still think dogs make bad pack animals unless they are trained to a point where they will do anything for you. They are not good pack animals. Everything else he said is absolutely true.

So, kiss my butt, ppine! I love ya, brother.

ppine

Forester
I have herding dogs and they love going anywhere. I let them wear a pack around the yard empty to get used to it. Then I start adding stuff gradually. They have to learn that a pack is wider than they are so they don't bang into trees and rocks. That is all there is to it. My BC loves to carry a pack and it makes a difference not to have to carry any of her stuff.

Grandpa

As soon as my old lab sees his dog pack he turns into a pup ready for the trail. In his prime, he carried his blankie, dish, and 5 days food. As a lab who loved the water, it only took once of eating soggy dog food and he would stop and wait for me to pull his pack before he dove in.

Simplify

What is the risk that a dog will try to confront a wolf, bear, coyote or other wild animal that comes into your area and provoke them to attack?

ppine

Forester
There is some risk. I have had my dogs chase bears out of camp several times with no problems. A group of coyotes or wolves could be hazardous to your dog's health.

Simplify

That is what I wonder about with the people here taking their dogs on the trail with no leash. What if the dog comes up on a snake?

Grandpa

A boisterous young pup might be a problem and should be on a leash. But an experienced trail dog is safer than his human partner.
This a great topic for friendly discussion around the campfire.

ppine

Forester
Now that I am retired from riding, I would love to pack some llamas or donkeys for a longer trip and lead them from the ground.

Grandpa

Friends with llamas say they prefer them. As long as you have two. Llamas also make good defense partners. Many sheepmen will now keep a pair of llamas with the flock on the range. They pick a high spot and guard the sheep better than a good dog. All of these animals make good trails partners if you train and treat them right. A dog doesn't have the capacity to carry more than his own needs for a few days.

Training and treating your packing friend right is a 24/7 days a year job. Feeding schedules, grooming and other care must be regularly schedule so the trust is built.

ppine

Forester
We have some sheep in the Valley now. They are commonly turned out with a
Great Pyrnees or two. Some guys use llamas. Donkeys are traditionally used because they can help move camp and can kick the crap out of coyotes.

On Thursday, I drove to town past a flock of sheep and had the lamb stew at the local Basque Deli in Carson City. I had lunch with my girl's sister who is a retired professor of Basque Studies at the U of NV. She was talking in Basque to the owners and Spanish to some of the other employees.