2 men endure 71-day hike to document the Grand Canyon

jason

fear no beer
This year is the 100th anniversary of Grand Canyon National Park. Six million visit each year, but fewer than 5 percent actually hike into the canyon. More people have walked on the moon than have walked the entire length of the Grand Canyon, 750 miles, the vast majority without trails.
"It's a hostile place and water is the key," said photographer Pete McBride.
It took McBride and writer Kevin Fedarko 71 excruciating days to complete their journey.
"I came in with some attitude. Like, 'We'll ju-- it'll be hiking.' and I just underestimated the physicality of it," McBride said.
The monumental physical accomplishment was to serve a larger purpose: A comprehensive book and documentary highlighting the canyon's challenges.

Full Story

Grandpa

We hiked a small stretch of the canyon. Water was the issue. We basically hiked from spring to spring. On our fourth day, we got word our last nights spring was dry, so we had to load up with as much water as we had bottles for and leave our site and push on to make a dry camp. This combined three days in to two with the climb back out the south kaibab the second day. Thankfully, I had brought two extra 3 quart bottles just in case. After sharing with my two partners I still had plenty for the long hike out.

L

Lenseagma

We leave in 6 weeks
May 25- June 2
Hotel - done GF
Flights - done
Fast passes - done
Easter baskets filled with new summer stuff - done

After Easter I will be working on laying out things to pack as well as figuring out other logistics.

I need this break from work

ppine

Forester
I floated the Canyon on a commercial raft trip for 276 miles.
Lee's Ferry to Pearce Ferry in a large J rig with an outboard motor. That took only a week.
Going by water is the way to see the GC. I would like to go again.