4 must have spices for camping

KeikoOka

When camping there are 4 important spices to use. They are all fantastic in many ways, but the most important reason to use them is because of their ability to stimulate the brain and to decrease inflammation. The 4 spices we always take with us are ginger, cinnamon, turmeric and rosemary.

dinosaur

troublemaker
If you don't have garlic on your list, I won't camp with you. I like Judy Ann's list. She seems to have the essentials down.

ponderosa

I love to cook with spices, and have an extensive collection. I've never used turmeric, though. How would you describe it, and what do you do with it?

Judy Ann

Oh you should try tumeric. Google Dr. OZ for his recommendations on antiinflammatory foods and spices. Another yellow spice for rice.

Grandpa

What?? no ketchup?? Okay, I'm not a ketchup fan either but I know a couple of people that would probably put it in their coffee if they could.

Rosie

I could never limit to only four! We always bring a lot of lemons and fresh garlic- at least a dozen fists of garlic. For powdered spices: Garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, thyme, paprika, 7spice (which is an Arab mixture of spices) cinnamon and nutmeg.

wvbreamfisherman

What? No Cayenne??? I always carry that and try to snag some of the little Tabasco sauce thingies at fast food places, too.

Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Garlic, Dried minced onions, Dill, Curry powder, are some of my other favorites.

Rain

What? No Cayenne??? I always carry that and try to snag some of the little Tabasco sauce thingies at fast food places, too.

Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Garlic, Dried minced onions, Dill, Curry powder, are some of my other favorites.
Curry powder is a great idea to bring camping. I'm not allowed to fix curries at home because of the stink that permeates the house for days afterward but now I'm thinking I'll fix a nice curry dish on my next camping trip. Thanks for the idea.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Outside of the obvious salt and pepper, I always bring granulated garlic, paprika, red pepper flakes and onion powder. I will bring along additional spices if I have a dish that requires them.

Mary Beth

I have never used tumeric, maybe I need to try that spice out. My camping spice list consists of garlic, cinnamon, Italian spice, and salt/pepper.

Roy

Frank's Red Hot. If you have enough Frank's you don't need any other spices. Bad food tastes good and good food tastes better with Frank's.

Gondor

As most of us I will usually use salt, pepper, and seasoned salt. The forth spice will depend on what I do and plan to make. It can be oil, vinegar, or even basil.

Lamebeaver

Salt, and a lemon, for fish.

Other than that, all the spices will be pre-mixed with other ingredients. I'm a big believer in premixing ingredients in snack and sandwich bags. That way it's dump, mix, cook, eat. Freezer bag cooking (adding hot water to a freezer bag, then eating out of the bag) works well to. Cooking in the woods is a pain in the $&$*#. I try to do as much as I can at home.

sailorman

Dinosaur, I wouldn't knock Dr. Oz. First of all we have some housewives here who might not appreciate that. Also, I thought the same thing. Then I ended up watching him out of curiosity. He is, in fact, a very intelligent person. He actually has a lot of good stuff to say.

Ilovelife

I prefer to ask my grandmother about these things. Back in her day this kind of information was passed down in the family. They know what herb and spice was good for what and made it work too.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
When camping there are 4 important spices to use. They are all fantastic in many ways, but the most important reason to use them is because of their ability to stimulate the brain and to decrease inflammation. The 4 spices we always take with us are ginger, cinnamon, turmeric and rosemary.
The first time I made Moroccan Harira soup I thought that the combination of turmeric and cinnamon was a bit strange until I tasted it. It called for a half teaspoon of each. Wow does that make a good tasting broth. We grow rosemary in our herb garden. I harvest a bit every time we need some. That plus fresh oregano and marjoram with a bunch of chives makes the best omelet I have tasted. We put black forest ham and Celtic cedar in the omelet too. We use a lot of spices but normally make up our meals ahead of time with the spices added to them for the trail.

KeikoOka

I have never tried Moroccan Harira soup, but upon hearing how good both spices are for you I think I will try it. Do you know what the rest of the recipe for it is?