A Good Day

dinosaur

troublemaker
I went out today with a buddy of mine to sight some weapons. We had everything from .177 air rifles to 12Ga. shotguns, and I do mean everything. I got my Ruger 10/22 sighted to the point I can hit a squirrel's eye at 50 yards. We got a .45 Colt lever action carbine hitting the bull at 50 yards on every shot. We played with a couple pistols of various calibers up to .45 and had a blast and a half with them. The 12Ga shotguns were a lot of fun too.

Then we got to the pellet rifles. I recently purchased one made by Crossman that delivers 1200fps from lead pellets. At 40 yards it will hit a target the size of an egg quite consistently. This is with standard flat nosed pellets. I have now ordered new pellets with better ballistics coated in 18 carat gold. They're expensive but I figure what the hell. I'm not going to live forever and everyone else can kiss my........!

We did have to go back and readjust a scope on my buddy's air rifle but I got it done and we were able to sight it perfectly for thirty yards hitting a one inch bull every time. Not much went wrong and we made a lot of noise which is a plus when sighting weapons.

The thing that amazed me was that I was more interested in getting my air rifle sighted in than my 10/22 or my .357 lever action or playing with my .45ACP or even messing with a 12Ga. I think I've come full circle from my youth. It doesn't seem to matter to me whether I can shoot a big weapon and I am certainly qualified to do it. I just love the idea of taking small game with a .177 caliber air rifle like I used to when I was twelve. Of course these new guns are higher tech and operate at extremes we never dreamed of as youths. But they are still a challenge at 40 yards. I love it.

Cappy

I usta have an ole crossman 22 air rifle and loved it
mostly now adays Peg and I juust go out and shoot her 22 for fun. She is very good of course I always spot her a few beers.:beer3: to keep it fair.

ppine

Forester
Dino.
There are certain situations and equipment out there I call "little kid neat." BB guns fall in that category. My Dad taught us to sight in bb guns with a pair of pliers. The front sight on my Daisy was bent at almost a 45 degree angle, but it was accurate. We used to shoot in the basement with bb guns and .22 caps. My brother once killed a fly on the target with a bb gun at the length of the house, around 45 feet.

Pathfinder1

Hi...
My first 'weapon' was a lever action BB gun that I had lots of fun with...even got a few squirrels with it.

One day some other youngsters and myself placed a .22 bullet on the top of a fencepost...and tried to hit it with our BB guns.

Suddenly the 'explosion' of a .22 was heard, and simultaneously one of the boys yells "I'm hit...I'm hit"...!! Well, he was hit alright...by the CASING...!! The actual lead bullet was STILL on the top of the fence post...!! Blowback propelled the .22 casing right between the kids eyes...!!

No real harm was done...and we learned our lesson...!!

dinosaur

troublemaker
I tried those new pellets. The rifle is now producing hypersonic speed. Had to resight it because there's no bullet drop up to fifty yards. The drawback, of course, is that it is quite a bit louder. But, now it will hit a nickel at fifty yards and blow through a five gallon bucket. --definitely not a toy.