About Sleep Systems

Northern Dancer

Hello - I'm glad you joined me today. :Smile2:

Today I'm talking about one SLEEP SYSTEM I use. {A sleep system consists of three basic components: ① the sleeping bag, ② the sleeping pad, and ③ the sleeper's clothing.] In this article, I'm focusing on the sleeping bag and pad with some reference to clothing.

For the sake of illustration, the system I'm talking about is for three seasons - Spring, Summer, and Fall in a base camp setting. {A base camp is a stationary camp sometimes referred to as "a drive-in site". For those of us who canoe trip a base camp is our home base that we return to at the end of the day.]

The goal of the article is to encourage thoughtful methods that will enable you to enjoy the outdoors and encourage creativity when it comes to sleeping while at camp. Imagination is everything because it's all about comfort.

The suggestions made are primarily based on my own experience and my need. I hope what I share will be helpful to you if you haven't had a lot of experience. With this system, I actually sleep better outside than I do inside. Kid you not.

SLEEPING BAG
The sleeping bag that I selected was the Sac De Couchadge A Motifs Canard Migrateur. {That's French.] In English? Migrator Duck Print Sleeping Bag - see, the French does sound a little more engaging and a tad more exciting. Specifically -----> designed for a person up to 6 feet 2 inches, rectangle, 5 degrees Fahrenheit, the filling is 6 pounds quadratherm filling, cotton canvas shell, {I hate sleeping in slippery bags.] cotton flannel lining, a chest collar with a draft tube, and a canvas zippered bag for easy packing. The other things I like it's roomy and warm, it has two tie buckles and two hang tabs that allow me to hang the bag up when not in use.

Slumber Camp Pillow
Memory foam with polyester. 20.5 X12.5 inches weighing approximately 1 pound. Wraps up nicely and slides into the bag. I cover it with a flannel pillow case for extra warmth and to keep it clean.

Pad/Mattress
Though I have two pads I also have two mattresses. For this system, I used a five-inch thick mattress that self-inflates through an opening I labeled one. At the end of the camp, it has another system I labeled 2 that greatly helps in deflating the mattress. I purchased a roomier storage bag to make it easy for me to pack it away.

Cot

For this system, I used a Teton Adventurer cot that can take up to 400 pounds weight, in my favourite colour - black, a unique feature pivot arm that helps make the setup easier. It is an X frame and is 75X25X17 and it fits into a heavy duty carry bag.

Depending on the temperature

I will wear a head toque or ski mask with soft gloves. {This enables me to keep my head outside and keep moisture from getting inside my sleeping bag.]

:Wave: NOTE
I do not endorse any product, nor does Outdoor BaseCamp. The advice is always the same. Know your needs, do your research, read independent reviews, compare prices, and buy on sale if you can.

ppine

Forester
Sleep is more important than ever before. I am becoming particular about sleeping systems. I like a big cot with a thick pad or a heavy inflatable mattress with a high R rating. Then a pillow from home, a down bag and two Pendleton blankets. Now I sometimes bring a light weight 40 degree mummy bag with the down bag over it as a quilt. My resistance to the cold continues to decline. But I sleep better camping than any other place if I can stay warm enough.