Activities around the campfire

Marshmallow

Some of my best memories growing up are of my uncle telling ghost stories while campers gathered around it. He sat in his chair and always had quite a following. He was something of a legend. What activities do others do that are connected with the campfire?

Ventura

I think roasting marshmallows is an activity that I associate with a campfire. I also associate listening to ghost stories with a campfire, although I am such a wuss and would probably cover my ears!

Dana

How about singing some old family favorites and well loved folk songs?

Grandpa

All the above great ideas. I also like to borrow skits from the boy scouts and have the grandkids put on a show. Gives the little ones a feeling of importance to have a good part.

Cappy

Every since I was a kid my harmonica was on every camping trip I ever took. A constant camp fire activity. maybe das why I camped alot by my self when I was young.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

ppine

Forester
Stories, jokes, and remaniscing about previous trips. Cooking is always big. Later we discovered poetry in about 1985. On pack trips and river trips there is lots of talk about critters and boats and the next days rapids and difficult trails.

Dana

Has anyone ever seen a compilation of great camping stories? Some of them probably would be pretty outrageous and sort of like Paul Bunyon tales? maybe great, funny camping "yarns".

Cappy

This forum is a great compilation of camping stories, ya just gotta snoop around in the back pages. Lots of lil jems hiding in the basement of this forum. :) One of my other favorite story teller is Patrick mcManus. I strongly recomend his "A Fine And Pleasent Misery " to start with. Never sniff a gift fish is another favorite of mine.

Judy Ann

Stories, jokes, and remaniscing about previous trips. Cooking is always big. Later we discovered poetry in about 1985. On pack trips and river trips there is lots of talk about critters and boats and the next days rapids and difficult trails.
My circle of friends out on the trail is slowly growing and for the most part includes only adults. Like ppine said, cooking, stories about friends in common and each other, and bear talk since we camp in bear country. Sometimes there is music. Last time we all pulled out our fire starting equipment to see if they worked or not...that was pretty funny! I have a feeling fishing in the mountains while backpacking will be attempted soon.

It is all good!