Add your Idea ---> Camp Hacks <---

Roybrew

I've used eggs in a carton before. It is convenient and you don't have to deal with the wasted shells.

Northern Dancer

IMPROVING CAMP ORGANIZATION
Packing Meals For a Canoe Trip.

We got the coffee on, ordered some pizza, and talked about improving our organizational camp skills.
One of the issues is packing to make things easier and lighter. It's always a challenge.
In particular, food packaging.

This year, purchasing the handy dandy dry packs from Dollar Store, each meal, and all that is necessary will be in one marked bag. We are doing this to eliminate irritating searches through the packs to find what we need for any given meal. Breakfast, lunch, supper, and snacks will be in a separate bag, clearly marked. Breakfast, Day 2, Thursday 4th, Tom, for example. The menu would be enclosed including any instructions/recipes for the person cooking the meal. Meal bags would be distributed to each member of the group for carrying according to weight. It's always been our practice to repack foods into baggies and when possible make our own recipes to eliminate the clutter.

Some will say this is no big deal, but, it's just another matter for us to improve our skills.

You are out for five days - how do you manage your food packing?
We are always open to new ideas and suggestions.

4343 Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer

THE MIGHTY BARREL
For Longer Trips.

4344 from recreational barrel works.

The barrel has become more popular recently, and I've noticed various colours and sizes.
You can get them in red and yellow.
You can also buy "bear-proof" barrels.
Be wise in selecting equipment because a lot of it isn't necessary.

:Violin:REMINDER - I don't recommend or endorse any product. Like I always say - do your homework, consult consumer's reports, compare prices and when possible buy on sale.

Roybrew

Hello ND, I have never used a barrel, but they look bulky and had to pack stuff in, and take up more room in the boat. But the idea of keeping stuff dry and secure, is appealing.
Roy

Northern Dancer

Hello ND, I have never used a barrel, but they look bulky and had to pack stuff in, and take up more room in the boat. But the idea of keeping stuff dry and secure, is appealing.
Roy
=====> I used to think so too. The reality is you can get them in various sizes. They float, are waterproof, rugged, keep their shape, and can be used as a table. For me, they fit into the canoe without any problem. We often use it as a food barrel and it has handles on each side that allows us to easily hang it in a tree. I do not have a harness as I use them exclusively for canoeing.