Add your Idea ---> Camp Hacks <---

Roybrew

When ever it going to be to cold or nasty out, I'll save back a used water bottle to use at night. Most times I just dart outside. Besides it gives me a chance to look at the stars.

Has anyone tried these Bigfoot Bushcraft fire plugs? mini-survival-fire-starter-kit-new-release-980557_400x~2.jpg

I need to invest in a good tarp and learn different ways to string it up.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
11 pounds? That's not bad. I don't think I'm cut out for backpack camping. Maybe with a pack mule. I bring to many creature comforts. I do like that fancy battery power pack ya have Joe. I may check into that.
Roy

The Great Outdoors
Yep! I don't backpack any more; it been jeep camping, for me, for a long while. Its true what they say about the (still expensive) LiFePo4 (lithium phosphate) batteries; much more power and half the weight of the old lead acid batteries. This 50 AH (Amp Hour) weighs about half of the old 35 amp hour sealed lead acid battery, and has more than twice the energy.

For higher power options I also have a couple of 100 AH LiFePo4 batteries but I really don't believe they will go camping again (at around 24 pounds each, I believe).. They were part of an experiment into possibly using induction cooking in camp, as a way to get around fire bans. It can work but propane is easier & 'way cheaper. (I'll keep and use the induction compatible pans though; they are 'quite nice).

Northern Dancer

THERE ARE A LOT MORE IDEAS THAT WE CAN SHARE
and I'll leave it to the crew to add ideas and suggestions.

Does anyone know what a "slucker tree" is?
Coming soon on one of the threads.

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
As I said I got away form the disadvantages of mantle lanterns by using electric lights inside the tent.
I decided last summer to make a second one. Here is a pic.
Its made from a jelly jar fixture with the wall bracket removed and a pull chain switch, along with a ring hanger and Velcro strap, and a cord from a wally mart extension, added.
I use 350 to 400 lumen LED bulbs with a color temperature in the 2500K range (slightly yellow). After a bit of research I decided that use these bulbs since they provide enough light for reading or moderately fine tasks (at arms length from the bulb) without being too bright , too white, too blue or too purple... They are the same bulbs that I use at home and are thus available almost every where (wally mart).
I also select my 120 volt LED bulbs for minimum power consumption (important when your power is battery supplied).

I would like to cut the cord but so far have not found stand alone tent lights with the same advantages snd run times of more than a week, I check for better, more portable, lighting about twice a year.

3777 An old pic of the original fixture in the 9x9 dome tent

Enjoy!

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
NOW FOR A DELICATE MATTER
- A GUY THING -

To this day, in winter, spring, summer, and fall I always carry a Night Bottle whether I think I need it or not.
There have been many times I've simply rolled over, did my thing, and rolled back to accomplish a good sleep.

Caution. Make sure the cap fits tightly. For obvious reasons.

I wrap mine in a sock so it is clearly evident what it is for.

After nearly falling backwards into a full cat hole, I purchased a port-a-pottie... no more midnight issues...
also the fake fur bathmat (post #4, above) prevents frozen toes; if I do have to put on clothing at night...

It fits/stores under the table at one end of the cot (and doesn't smell either).
HInt if you drink beer bypass the small model and get one with enough capacity...

... not really applicable to back packers...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Speaking of sanitation; here's a hack that been around for a couple of years (not original to me, but I use it);
To keep toilet tissue clean and dry (its moisture resistant, not moisture proof) cut an (empty) 2 liter soda bottle in half and remove the inner tube from a roll of toilet paper then take the end or the paper, from inside the roll, and run it out the neck of the bottle, finally, cram the 2 bottle halves together. Note; some toilet paper rolls need to be reduced to fit in the bottle..

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
I tried plastic table ware a couple of times but found that eventually they break. A solution was to get really Cheap stainless flatware from wallymart; its cheap enough that you don't have to worry about loaned items being returned. Just replace them during your annual inventory & upgrade cycle...
I also found a cheap pencil pouch in the student supplies at wallymart at the beginning of one school season.

It was adapted to hold the 3 sets of stainless flatware (I had to cut the ends off of several table knives though) and some other stuff...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Cappy

I thought I shared this if I did forgive me. We use purex laundry soap at home comes in big blue jug we get it at the dollar store when the jug is empty if you look in there is a milky clear pour spout. It easily pops out leaving a great open mouth jug that is a perfect pee jug. It is large enough for all night for us fluid pill takers and has a nice handle. Bout the time it gets too smelly there is another empty ready to go. As I said before we live in a small house with 1 bathroom and I take fluid pills. Purex jug to the rescue :beer3:

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
I got tired of using cold water for shaving and washing during the somewhat nipply mornings while camping;
A short vist to amazon, eventually, resulted in a light weight tea kettle with pour spout; it prevents me from freezing during morning ablutions...

..I used the coffee pot to heat water but the resulting scent resulted in people asking"who's making coffee?"
A dog dish makes a satisfactory wash basin...

Enjoy!

Northern Dancer

I TEND TO TAKE CARE OF MY HYGIENE NEEDS
For that reason, I have a toiletries bag and the necessary equipment to keep myself neat and tidy.

I do have a shaving kit - one for base camp and one for canoeing. The canoeing one is compact. Like Happy Joe, I use my small kettle to warm up the water. I use camp towels that dry quickly. Most don't like them because they want to rub, rather than pat down.
And yes...I do use a shave brush, block, and mirror.

3785 3789

Small, compact and has everything I need - mirror, razor, shaving cream, toothpaste, toothbrush, nail clippers, hair brush,

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
For truck camping I like to bring an old enamel wash basin. I put it right on the stove to heat water to wash with in cold weather.
For winter trips some cheap solar lights around camp really help make it safer in all of that darkness.
For the desert I like to bring some hardwood for a fire.

Northern Dancer

AND THEN THERE IS THE NEW...

fold down basins that you can pack away easily in your kit.
Make sure you mark them for "dishes" or "personal" use.

And those of you who just gotta have it...

I just tell ya camp fans there's no end to gizmos and gadgets to make
your stay with the forest creatures cozy and comfortable.

Northern Dancer

Keep Your Salt From Clumping

I don't know how many times I've picked up my salt shaker and found it "clumped" - is that a word? Take a cue from your local diner and put a few grains of rice [which I now do] in your salt shaker to keep the salt flowing instead of clumping together. Using a plastic shaker with a snap-down lid is also helpful to keep moisture out. OR you can always bring along the salt packs.

QUESTION?
Why is salt iodized?

3792 3793

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Keep Your Salt From Clumping

I don't know how many times I've picked up my salt shaker and found it "clumped" - is that a word? Take a cue from your local diner and put a few grains of rice [which I now do] in your salt shaker to keep the salt flowing instead of clumping together. Using a plastic shaker with a snap-down lid is also helpful to keep moisture out. OR you can always bring along the salt packs.

QUESTION?
Why is salt iodized?

I believe that it is an attempt to prevent goiter or thyroid problems in the populace...

Enjoy!

Northern Dancer

FOR SOME, THERE ARE ONLY TWO TYPES OF CAMPING

MODERN - with all the new doodads, phenomenal technologies, and creative devices.
PRIMITIVE - use of natural surroundings and limited use of essential equipment.
OTHER
- some will jump to their feet and ask what about RVing, solo, bicycle, backpacking, kayaking, etc.
IT'S TRUE IN WHAT YOU SAY - nonetheless they all fall into the two noted.
Whatever mode of camping style you select [or a combination of the same] will determine, in part,
the ingenious ideas you come up with to enhance your experience.

The question remains.
What kind of ideas for either style have you created or adopted?

I NEVER USE A FLASHLIGHT NOW

3796 3797 3798

HEADLAMPS is my standard and no, I don't tie them to my ankles to see the path.
They come in every shape, size, power, and price tag.

ABOUT IODIZED SALT
Worldwide, iodine deficiency affects two billion people and is the leading preventable cause of
intellectual and developmental disabilities. In the U.S., iodized salt first became available
on grocery shelves in Michigan on 1 May 1924,

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Since since these old bones actively complain about sleeping on the ground; I started using a foam mattress pad (actually 2; the Coleman pad, that came with the cot, and a trimmed down hospital bed pad)) on the cot.

after dealing with the huge roll for years; I decided to try vacuum packing it (had ti use a heavy duty lawn and leaf garbage bag since the roll was too big for the commercial bags)... at home a shop-vac removes the air just fine, but the vac is hard to transport...
I discovered a 120 volt inflater/deflater that will do this nearly as well and will fit in the camping gear (runs off of a medium sized inverter and tent or vehicle battery).

3804 (both before and after pics show the bag in the same place at the same (more or less) distance from the camera).

The pad reduced from more than 16 inches in diameter to 7 or 8 inches...
(Hint: guard your bag, in camp, as some one may try to use it for garbage)...

Enjoy!

Northern Dancer

PRE-PACKAGING FOODS FOR CANOE TRIPS SAVES A LOT OF TIME AND SPACE
and baggies make it all possible.

For example ----->
I take a baggy, put in my favourite cereal, and add whole or skim milk powder, and sugar.
I now have a complete breakfast choice.

I will also use larger baggies to place an entire meal inside so when it comes to cooking I have
the whole menu together. I mark it clearly such as "Saturday Supper July 8th".
Baggies - tiny, very small, medium, large, super large, gigantic large can be used for a variety
of packing needs and helps greatly with organizing your trip.
I always take two to protect my firewood from rainy weather.