Air Mattress

RingTwist

Do you take an air mattress along when you camp? If I had to hike into the camping spot, I wouldn't take one, but when the car is parked fairly close, I prefer to have the mattress. It's much more comfortable.

Grandpa

I guess we need a definition of an air mattress. I take an air mattress backpacking. (Big Agnus insulated air core) Self inflating mattress' such as thermarest and others would also be considered air mattress'. They have a memory foam inside that when the valve is opened the foam expands and draws in the air. Nearly all backpackers use one of these styles or a simple closed cell foam for insulation and comfort. Then we have the big cushy 6 inch thick air mattress or the even bigger complete blow up bed. These are bulky as well as heavy but offer a high degree of comfort.

Grandma likes her big cushy air mattress when camping but I still prefer either my Big Agnus or my Camp Comfort Thermarest.

ppine

Forester
For hunting camp this fall I will be on a cot with a cot pad, a thick Thermarest and a piece of foam. It is as good as being at home.

TroyS

Wow! Didn't know there were so many kinds of air mattresses. That one with the memory foam inside sounds like something that I might need since I need quite a bit of support for my back.

Grandpa

Wow! Didn't know there were so many kinds of air mattresses. That one with the memory foam inside sounds like something that I might need since I need quite a bit of support for my back.
You might check around for the thickest self inflating you can find. It seems one of SIL's friends showed up with one that self inflated to 4" one time. It was big and bulky for backpacking so I only saw him use it once and then he replaced it with a thermarest. I know it wasn't a thermarest brand but not sure just what brand it was.

carmen

I have given up on the idea of an air mattress as I have yet to find one that actually supports what I need it to. I mean I know its not some thousand dollar mattress that works wonders but having back issues already I do not want to chance making them worse.

Judy Ann

I have a bad back, yet most nights sleeping on either a thermarest or Coleman air mattress give me the best sleeping experience. Think of an air mattress as a sleep number bed and don't over inflate. Perfect support is only a few breaths away!

Grandpa

I have a bad back, yet most nights sleeping on either a thermarest or Coleman air mattress give me the best sleeping experience. Think of an air mattress as a sleep number bed and don't over inflate. Perfect support is only a few breaths away!
Excellent advice. For me, perfect is laying on my side, and slowly letting air out until my hip just reaches solid ground. Over inflate a self inflating pad or a backpacking air mattress and you will roll around all night, usually rolling off the pad.

Judy Ann

So what's the trick with two people on a queen mattress Grandpa? If the opportunity presents itself I don't want to be bounced off! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Yab9

I own one but as long as my back is still fine I prefer the sleeping bag and nothing more. Well, a blanket if necessary. I like nature and all its surprises.

Last edited:

Grandpa

So what's the trick with two people on a queen mattress Grandpa? If the opportunity presents itself I don't want to be bounced off! :tinysmile_twink_t2:
Sorry Judy, I haven't figured that out yet. Every time I roll over, Grandma gets launched into space. That's why she makes me sleep on the thermarest.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

shaun

I've never taken an air mattress on a camping trip. I like to stick to the bare essentials because I don't want a load of excess baggage to carry around if I want to set up a new camp. I sleep on the floor in my sleeping bag. If the ground is too hard I will gather some natural bedding like grass etc.

Hikenhunter

I've been using a thermarest closed cell foam pad for years. While it is alittle bulky when backpacking it weighs next to nothing and I always sleep well on it. I have traded the 1/2 inch pad for a 3/4 inch pad but that was quite awhile back and I always wake up with no more aches and pains than I have when sleeping in my bed.

ppine

Forester
Yab,
You must be young and live someplace that is warm at night. Your idea of how to sleep outside explains the expression on your face in the picture.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
For car camping I have one of the big Coleman air beds.

For backpacking I have a few different pads but I have been using the Thermarest NeoAir (old model) for quite a while now and love it. I use it in the hammock and tent, it works just as well in both. It will keep me warm into the 20s without trouble and doesn't overheat me in the 70s. Truly a versatile pad.