All Around Knife Length?

Gondor

What do you think would be the length of a knife that can be used for all tasks in a survival situations - long enough to process wood but also be short enough for more delicate tasks?

Barney

Everything bellow 4 inches cannot be considered a survival blade, in my opinion. I wouldn't want to carry a knife longer than 7 inches either. It should be somewhere in between.

wvbreamfisherman

Barney has it about right, although you can do a lot with a short blade as long as it's good and strong.

I'd look for something in the 5-6 inch range, fairly thick, with a decent drop point and full-tang handle with a non slip grip. A small handguard can be a plus, but nothing big.

High carbon steel is my preference.

There as many opinions about the right knife as there are knife users.

Hikenhunter

5 to 6 inch is about right but I wouldn't leave home without a small folding knife as well. I carry at all times a swiss army pocket knife with a three inch and a two inch blade and I use it for a multitude of tasks.

Gondor

I always carry a small folding knife that's about 3 inches which I use for simpler tasks but survival blade is something I would want bigger. So far my favorite choice to buy would be Bark River Bravo 1 due to its thickness, grind and steel but I'm afraid that 4 1/4 length of the blade will be too short. They make Bravo 2 which is 7 inches - too long and is less thick.

Barney

Carbon steel - yes, convex grind for survival purposes - yes, full tang - yes, thickness more than 3/16" - yes, length - I would say it depends. If you have all previous features than you are ready for processing wood, length in that case only determines how wide logs will you be able to process. Bravo 1 is maybe one of the best choices but I can't help the feeling that 4 1/4" is too short.

One more thing. If you rely on this knife as a one option tool, which mans chopping besides splitting, than heft if what you should be looking for as well, and that translates to knife weight. You would need a heavier knife.

oldsarge

There as many opinions about the right knife as there are knife users.
How true! Also techniques in using a knife in the field. You would be surprised on what you can do with a really small blade. I too carry a small folder such as a Swiss army knife with me for those small jobs. 7" is the absolute maximum for me but I would prefer the 5"-6" range as this is what I'm used to.

I watched Panamanians use a machete for all kinds of things. I guess when you grow up using these on a daily basis you can do about anything.

Last edited:

CozInCowtown

In a survival situaation I would hate to rely on only a knife to get by on.
A knife is a knife. Not an axe. Not a machette. Not a sledge hammer. Not a surface to air missile. Not anything but a knife.
That being said (my opinion) a nice folding pocket knife that is comfortable to carry would be my first choice.
For all other task I try and use the correct tool for the job and not have to improvise.
JMO,
DC

wvbreamfisherman

My EDC knife is a Gerber FAST 3 inch folder. I also carry a swiss army knife and a Buck Stockman. The little scissors on the swiss army knife are unbelievably handy!

Grandpa

5-6 inch is plenty for me as well.

I busted my hand up one day riding a 4 wheeler, just before dropping a 6x6 elk. Hand was too swollen and sore to handle my hunting knife so I dressed that critter all the way down with my 2" gerber pocket knife, including splitting the pelvis. A good knife and a little pocket steel and you can do just fine.

oldsarge

Not a surface to air missile.
So your telling you never threw a knife.......even as a kid? I've seen them used as pry bars, forks to eat with, screw drivers, ice picks and God knows what else. A pretty versatile tool!

wvbreamfisherman

I never could throw a knife worth a hoot! Lord knows I tried it enough when I was a kid.

I also tried to make an atlatl, which broke the first time I tried it. I had some success with fligning a stone from a sling made from a strip of rag. Amazing how much power you can out on one that way.

oldsarge

Even if I could throw a knife effectively, I just can't seem to throw my good one and risk damaging or loosing it. Same goes for prying.

wvbreamfisherman

Last edited:

Gondor

I practiced knife throwing as a kid more than it is advised and my parents would allow if they only knew what I was wasting my time on. :D I may even do a video on it and post for you guys here.

EmberMike

I use the Gerber Big Rock for the purposes of wood handling, and I guess that would be considered my "survival" knife even though it's not really classified as such. It's a bit short for that purpose really. But it is thick and sturdy, full tang, etc.

For general camping purposes I rarely need much more than a folding knife like a Gerber FAST or AR 3.0. 3-4" at most. Beyond that, the Big Rock does the trick. But in an actual survival scenario, I think I'd want a Swiss Army knife as well. All that extra stuff rarely gets used in my general camping trips, but in a survival sense those extra tools would be a welcome sight.

Probably a leatherman, too, but I'd probably never carry one on a hike. They're a bit heavy. But again, I'd be happy to carry the extra weight in a scenario where the extra tools would be much more important.

I think I'll always have an issue of wanting to carry too many knives. :)

Grandpa

I sure envy y'all with all those bushcraft skills requiring a knife. Other than hunting and opening food saver packages when backpacking, I use a knife maybe once a year and usually that is to hack of a piece of cordage for something. If it's too big to break, it's to big to burn before bedtime and that means another bucket of water to douse the thing. Getting lazy in my old age and have to think about things like that.

Cutting green marshmallow sticks (or any other live plant) is against my religion, I'm not in one place long enough to bother making a table and chair, (although I have made a few in younger days) and the old XD357 creates a much better surface to air missle than any knife I own.

Don't get me wrong, I still carry a Benchmade folder and a small multi-tool with a blade sharpened razor sharp. Just in case:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Another way is to visit a sports shop/department and actually get the feel of certain knives.

And (if your budget allows) get two or three and try them in the field, preferably in the five/six/seven-inch range. You may end up using all of them for various tasks.