All Around Knife Length?

Pathfinder1

I sure envy y'all with all those bushcraft skills requiring a knife. Other than hunting and opening food saver packages when backpacking, I use a knife maybe once a year and usually that is to hack of a piece of cordage for something. If it's too big to break, it's to big to burn before bedtime and that means another bucket of water to douse the thing. Getting lazy in my old age and have to think about things like that.

Cutting green marshmallow sticks (or any other live plant) is against my religion, I'm not in one place long enough to bother making a table and chair, (although I have made a few in younger days) and the old XD357 creates a much better surface to air missle than any knife I own.

Don't get me wrong, I still carry a Benchmade folder and a small multi-tool with a blade sharpened razor sharp. Just in case:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Hi...

Interesting point. Until now I never really realized how little I use a knife when afield. Would feel naked without them, though.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Regarding throwing, I've TRIED to throw the usual amount of things (they 'threw' alright, but no Daniel Boone!)" knives, hatchets, spears, tomahawks, axes. Once shattered an axe handle when throwing it againse the wall of an old wooden bungalow.

What I want to throw next is the bola...and I'm working on that. Should be fun.

Gondor

I do a lot of carving but not so much splitting and chopping which is why I prefer knife in the range of 4 inches + saw or axe (if I need to saw or chop). But for survival purposes I would like at least 5.25" knife to do splitting and chopping.