ALREADY PACKED FOR THE SOLO....

Northern Dancer

HELLO EVERYONE, I HOPE YOU ARE ALL DOING WELL.

Not exactly, BUT, everything is already planned [lists, etc.] and yes, some of the packing is actually done. The days are getting longer in this neck of the woods and the skies are more decidedly bluer. Last year was not one of my better ones for getting out camping because of Covid 19. So I'm sort of anxious about getting away this year. I'm really hoping there are no obstacles that get in my/our way. In the meantime, I'm completing my first-aid refresher course and brushing up on my being in bear country skills. It reminds me that I need to replace my bear spray this year and rehearse how to use the same.

ppine

Forester
ND,
I like your list, but you can do much better with food than MREs, especially in a canoe. Do you bring a small cooler, at least for the first couple of days? You can freeze some items and just bury them in your pack to stay cool especially in spring.

I like to buy all of my food for backpacking and canoeing trips in a regular grocery store. There are lots of things that are dehydrated now. Protein is the hardest part. I like smoked salmon, tuna and chicken in a foil pouch, even small single portions of Spam are great in the outdoors. I like to make things like mashed potatoes, soup like split pea, mac and cheese to go with it. A big salad with smoked salmon. A couple of bagels with lauging cow cheese and some protein, sliced cucumbers. On canoe trips I like to make normal dinners. Spaghetti with garlic bread, beef stew, tacos and burritos, grilled steaks, etc. There is plenty of time. I look forward to dinner a lot. When there is a group we take turns trying to outdo each other.

Northern Dancer

...I agree with you "Pine" on the MREs - I'm bringing them along on this trip as bad weather back up, should I need to stay an extra day and because I'm lazy. :Frown2: I don't bring a cooler on my solo trips but opt for a better sleep system instead. I'm more into comfort these days. On occasion, I head out for our mega grocery store and see what products are on the shelf that can be utilized for tripping. I always shake my head when a colleague comes back from an outdoor store and announces he bought macaroni on sale for $$7.50. "Dude, you can get a box for $1.95 at the grocery store."

I use to take along bannock bags now I take a Betty Crocker's Bisquick. You just have to add water; it costs .75 cents. I also take some jam/peanut butter tubs to dress it up a little.

It's great stuff, isn't it?

Roybrew

Oh Wow! We going camping! Have a great trip, take many pictures and make up great stories. Oh don't forget the Little Debbie's.