Average

Erwin

How many deer do you average a year? I usually get one a year. This year I have gotten 2 by bow and 2 by rifle and am so excited!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Erwin, you;re having a really good year. My advice, if you can use the meat, would be to go out for black powder season and crossbow also.

greensteelforge

Usually shoot at least six during rifle season, but we have a no-limit bag. My best year would be seventeen, and my worst two. I generally keep all the meat, and can most of it. In heavy years, we have donated a few to the food pantry, and given whole animals to friends and family.

Erwin

Greensteelforge I have never heard of canning venison, how is it similar to canning veggie?. We use all of what I get with having 2 deep freeze chests it is a little easier than most. I will not have to buy a half a cow to supplement this year!

CZ550hunter

I live in kansas and have a limit of only 2 deer unless i am hunting near kansas city where you cang et up to four but all of that land is private property so you have to know a land owner to hunt. I was curious what state or country allows you to hunt as many deer as you want.

greensteelforge

I hunt in the driftless area of Wisconsin. We have a combined problem involving extreme deer overpopulation, and chronic wasting disease (which spreads easily in dense populations of deer through shared food sources). I eat all the venison I keep, and the meat I share is all eaten. I wouldn't condone this kind of hunting in an area with a healthy deer population. I've been at this kind of hunting in our area for six or seven years now, and we still see tons of deer, and the annual estimates aren't showing any major decline since the state shut down it's paid sharpshooter program a couple years ago after it became the target of trophy hunting organizations. The concern now is that with most of the rural land being privately owned, and primarily closed to hunting, it has become nearly impossible to control the deer population. It's great for new hunters, though, since I can generally guarantee them a deer on their first day out. I can see how this would sound awful to those of you who live in places where deer aren't as populated.

greensteelforge

Greensteelforge I have never heard of canning venison, how is it similar to canning veggie?. We use all of what I get with having 2 deep freeze chests it is a little easier than most. I will not have to buy a half a cow to supplement this year!
Canning venison is done in a pressure canner. Most canning books include a section on canning meats. Just don't let anyone talk you into thinking it's okay to hot water bath a batch of meat. Having canned meat around is great, since it allows you the ability to make a big pot of stew as quickly as dumping a can of meat, a couple cans of veggies, and heating it up. I also use it as a good way to use the lesser cuts of meat like the neck, lower legs, chest, and scraps.

td_porter

I've never gotten more that one deer in a season, but I don't get out as much as i want because i work a crazy rotating shift. I got a nice 8 point last week...glad to have some venison in the freezer to share with my family. CONGRATS on your 4....wow i'd be set for a while with that much meat :)