Backpacking Without Re-Supply

ppine

Forester
I was on a trip in Oregon on the PCT this Sept and ran into more through hikers than day hikers. Through as in Mexico to Canada. They have an amazingly similar routine. They carry light packs and eat bars, and Ramen noodles. Then every 5-7 days go off trail to gorge on food in town and re-supply. They have a schedule and spend time with a cell phone making arrangements for rooms and rides.

I hate having a schedule. My longest trips have only been 10 days, but I never re-supply. If I ever go on a long trip I am bringing a donkey or at least a couple of llamas.

Simplify

One of the joys of backpacking is not being bound to a tight schedule like in the hustle and bustle 9 to 5 world. One goes backpacking to get away from all that. It is so nice to wake up in the morning and just take the day as it comes, not having to make it x amount of miles by the end of the day but stopping to smell the roses and taking in the scene.

One idea would be to buy fishing licenses online from each state you will be passing through to fish along the way.