Bacon shortage?!?!

3ofusnow

Has anyone else heard about the bacon shortage that may or may not be ahead? Two days ago there were stories about the impending porkacolypse, and now "experts" are saying that there will be bacon a plenty...if you are willing to pay through the nose for it.

Tubby

Ah, say it ain't so!! I'm going to have to have my bacon. I wonder how much a piglet costs. I guess I'm going to have to do what we used to do and grow my own. I can still dress a hog out for the freezer, it's not a lost art here.

bsmit212

Yeah I have heard about it. I agree with the second comment. Price will control/prevent the shortage I think, but the price will rise.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The situation you've described is one of simple supply and demand economics. It is a push-pull relationship. If supply decreases without a corresponding drop in demand, generally the price will rise. If supply remains in sync with demand and the price rises, it is due to other factors usually associated with rising costs of production and transportation charges. A third factor, of course, is now taxes. If taxes increase, it cuts into net profit. These net profits are not simply pocketed. They are used to put back into the business for future production, modernization and expansion.

If, on the other hand, you are talking about price gouging, the free market will take care of it. If the price is too high, fewer people will buy or will buy less often. This again will cut into profits at some point and the price will stabilize or drop. Either that or efficiencies in production will make it possible to cut the price and simply produce more product at a lesser margin making up the difference on volume.

One must understand that all of these factors are interdependant. If you want a better idea, check with the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. This is a commodity futures exchange. You can monitor the price of Pork Bellies (bacon) for delivery prices well into next year. They may show a steady rise. Just remember, it can change due to any factor. So keep watching if you are truly interested.

carmen

Yes and it is going to be the downfall of the world. Who does not love bacon? Okay some don't, but most of us do. Did you know BK is putting bacon in the ice cream? Now I love it just as much as the next gal but that is pushing it a little too far.

Barney

I don't eat bacon that much so no problem for our home. But I do admit that it is a great self reliance type of food, calorie-wise.

Gondor

I rarely use bacon in my diet but I almost always bring some on that trail because it is a great calorie bomb when you need energy.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I once had a 'cake' of bacon that I carried for a while. It was commercially pre-cooked bacon compressed into a cake about the size of a pack of cards, and made for camping, etc.

Since I had no other food until the next day, I was glad to have it. Wasn't too bad (under the circumstances).

jason

fear no beer
You know wal-mart has gun layaway now. And well I am in Florida and am told only second to Texas in wild pig population, and they are much larger. I guess a Christmas shopping I will go. There are even a few wild ones in my neighborhood.

Blueskyy

Guess I am going to have to send the hubby out to find some wild boar to go with our deer this year. I can't imagine breakfast without bacon!

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
You know wal-mart has gun layaway now. And well I am in Florida and am told only second to Texas in wild pig population, and they are much larger. I guess a Christmas shopping I will go. There are even a few wild ones in my neighborhood.
Wild bacon!

West Texan

Bacon is it's own food group. Goes well with just about everything. Price goes up too much, may just have to get out and find my own.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I like bacon but my doctor doesn't like me to like it. I can do without. I guess Generation XL will have to pay the piper, but I'll just wait until the price goes down.