Bananna Water

Cappy

I was wondering if any of you survivor types know if the water in a bananna palm is useful in a pinch ?? Can ya drink it? Or boil it and if boiled is it anyway nutricous?? Strange question I know but I just finished mucking out our bananna patch and thought about it as water poored from every palm I cut down. They grow wild here lots and are easily found even way back in the swamp they are a variety of plantain and we eat them cooked when we have them.

ppine

Forester
Cappy,
Chances are it would be just fine. Drink a couple of ounces and wait a couple of hours and see how you feel.

Cappy

Got a better idea I'll send ya a pint jar and you drink it. :p

Think I'd rather drink straight outa the river and have on ocasion. This stuff is kinda slimy and smells not rotten but strong palm smell. Was just a lame atempt to maybe get a chicken little to explain to me something. i find it entertaining.

wvbreamfisherman

Might not taste too good, but it would most likely be clean of bacteria, and have a decent amount of minerals being picked up from the soil. As long as its not sitting in water that's badly contaminated with pesticides or other organic stuff that might get picked up you should be OK.

Just an educated guess, though. If I were in a survival situation I might give it a try of I dodn't have a good water source, or a way to clean water.

BigSur

I suppose you could drink it if you really needed to. Some people have survived on pond water and insects when they had to! Slimy banana water doesn't too appetizing though.

offtrail

I suppose you could drink it if you really needed to. Some people have survived on pond water and insects when they had to! Slimy banana water doesn't too appetizing though.
No need for it to be slimy if you know how it's done, check out the link above.