be careful out there

carmen

When we head out on trips our own (pretty short ones) we don't separate and when we go with a group we always use a buddy system of sorts. You can never be too careful when you are in the domain of the nature (and her residents).

Simplify

So far I have had seven bear encounters, two of which I was able to get on film. Mostly bears are afraid of humans but there can be an occasional predatory bear.

I always carry bear spray while hiking. It should be a must have for any backpacker.

jason

fear no beer
Do not run into bears often down here. But there was just a story about some people canoeing down the river and surprised a gator which jumped into the canoe and bit one of them. I do not think most people realize that gators can jump out of the water.

ArkansasMom

I'm terrified of running into bears. I read an article recently about how we are starting to get more bears in the area! I can't even imagine what I would do if I ever saw one. I guess with hiking does come some risk, though.

Bear spray...I had no idea that was a thing. Thanks for the tip! I have yet to run into anything bigger than deer, but in the event that I did, I would be terrified. I know what I'm picking up before my next hike.

Woodland

Bear spray is a good idea. Make a lot of noise if you see a bear. They don't like hanging around noisy areas. Cub season is a bad time to be hiking in the woods since mama bears are very protective and even the slightest move towards a cub will bring her running.

ppine

Forester
Knowledge is power. It makes people more confident when they learn the ways of bears. Everyone should carry bear spray, keep a clean camp and make noise in the bush.

Grandpa

Knowledge is power. It makes people more confident when they learn the ways of bears. Everyone should carry bear spray, keep a clean camp and make noise in the bush.
I call it good bear ettiquette. Don't tease the bear by leaving food laying around. Don't sneak up and scare him. And most of all, think what you would do if you saw an unsavory character sneaking up on one of your children. Well, mama bear is no different. The term situational awareness fits real well here.