bear spray

Roybrew

If I was going to major grizzly or polar bear country, I believe I would pack a side arm, and bear spray. Other than that I have no use for either of them around here, at least I hope I never need that type of protection here.

Cappy

There are very few well managed black bear in Louisiana and I dont worry about em. Coons are the big camp ground varmits and ya kinda use the same prep for them as bears. No food left out and gotta be secure cause they have thumbs. Leaving a loaf of bread under a dish pan dont work I know I tried it recently. With that said I aint seen but 2 bears in my whole life in the wild. We do have a problem that I do caryry spray for though and I have a can in the camper and another in my jeep. It's wasp spray. I dont use it unless absolutely necessary cause I like wasps but every once in a while they nest in a bad place. The wasp spray shoots further is easier to aim and would work on bears and even peop[le if ya hadda use it. So I guess ya could say I carry bear spray, people spray wasp spray all in an easier to use more versatile can. I serially dont carry it for bear and the chance of using it on a bear is nest to none but I do carry it

dinosaur

troublemaker
I never had a use for pepper spray unless I'm visiting Chicago. They've got some two-legged varmints up there that can be pretty aggressive.
Out here I have a .45 strapped to my hip and a 16ga. double barrel slung over my shoulder. Luckily, we don't have any grizz here. And, the only times I've run into a black bear, they show me their backside. It's pretty gratifying to see an animal that weighs 300 pounds or more running away from you. I figure the only problem that would arise would be if I run into an arthritic old boar who doesn't feel like running.
That only happened once and I never saw him. I went down to a low area near one of my ponds to pick some gooseberries and found the bush completely denuded of berries. It was picked clean. It's a pretty big bush and there were hundreds of ripe berries on it the day before. I saw prints so I tracked him for a short distance. I could tell by his paws he was an old guy with arthritis. So, I figured what the hell. He was an oldtimer like me and if my bush provided him a good meal, he was welcome to it.

Terasec

with proper precaution, little need for bear spray on east coast,
out west with grizzlies that's another matter,
I never carried bear spray in the past, even though had numerous encounters,
only started carrying spray about 2 years ago, during a winter campout on my land, when headed back noticed bear tracks followed my previous days tracks basically step for step,
during a deep snow section where I was waist deep was placing my hands in and next to bear tracks, if I encountered that bear while I was waist deep, I looked like a wailing snack.
started carrying bear spray ever since

ppine

Forester
fbird,
Carrying a loaded shotgun with the safety off is a terrible idea. Not safe for you or anyone around you. Much more dangerous than being in bear country.

dinosaur

troublemaker
fbird,
Carrying a loaded shotgun with the safety off is a terrible idea.
I'm pretty sure he knows that, buddy. It looked to me like he was just trying to voice an absurdity for humor's sake. Still, you are right to point it out for those who might read something else into it.

RelaxedMale

Camping Blogger
Oh yeah, I have heard of bear spray. Not ever had any nor did I ever need to use it but here is an example of when not to use it. Of course, I can't help but laugh at the fact the bear exacts some pretty awesome revenge.

Grandpa

its basically a high power pepper spray. most pepper spray are less than a 1% solution, bear spray is upwards of a 11% solution. in most cases it is your most effective option outside of carrying a loaded 12 gauge with the safety off. just like pepper spray you spray it at the head particularly the eyes. luckily i have never had to try it on a bear but it did work on a pit bull that had its jaws locked on someones leg.
Actually, the spray I have in front of me is 2% active. Capsaicin and related capsaicinoids. The 98% is just the inert carrier. This brand is called Counter Assault Bear Deterrent. I left a can in my car on a hot day, causing it to leak so I had to chuck it. It was also a 2 % solution. I carry spray but I also carry a good pistol. Both are always ready at hand. I've never had to use either. Most bears in Idaho want nothing to do with humans. Even a Griz I ran into near Yellowstone skidaddled when he saw me. Where bears are more human accclimated, they can be very brave and more dangerous.

MacGyver

Where bears are more human accclimated, they can be very brave and more dangerous.
That's become a growing problem in Western Maryland. The overdevelopment in this state is horrendous, pushing wildlife into smaller and smaller areas. Black bear encounters are becoming more and more frequent with reports of property damage on the rise. Unfortunately, I guess it follows that we'll eventually be reading about a rise in injuries and fatalities. The only consolation, if you want to call it that, is that we're only dealing with black bears and not grizzlies.

Cappy

Down here on the gulf coast we have a growing problem with gators. gators have always been around and always ran away at the first sign of man. Now thanks to all the swamp tours and folks feeding them, gators have begun to loose their fear and be attracted to people. Add to that the selfie craze of social media and you have a recipe for disaster. this rarely ends well.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Candidate for the Darwin Awards; Evolution at work!

Perhaps some re-education is in order; bear is pretty good to eat, How is 'gator?

Enjoy!

Grandpa

Cappy is the gator expert. I tried it once during an La. visit. It was okay, nothing special. But maybe a good cook would do it more justice or maybe it was a good cook and that was the best they could do with it. I'd have to eat more to give an honest opinion.

jason

fear no beer
Down here on the gulf coast we have a growing problem with gators. gators have always been around and always ran away at the first sign of man. Now thanks to all the swamp tours and folks feeding them, gators have begun to loose their fear and be attracted to people. Add to that the selfie craze of social media and you have a recipe for disaster. this rarely ends well.
This just happened a few days ago.
DAVIE, Florida --
A woman who disappeared while walking her dogs near a Florida lake Friday was bitten and likely killed by an alligator that was later captured, wildlife officials said.
http://abc13.com/pets-animals/missing-womans-remains-found-inside-alligator/3582968/

ppine

Forester
I was in the Sierras this week. It was 29 degrees on Wed morning. Saw some bear scat within 400 yards of camp. I carry a small Ruger LCR in .357 mag in the pouch on my waist belt. Most black bears give little trouble but a few are predatory on humans.

For country with grizz, I would carry bear spray on my belt and a larger revolver. It you make plenty of noise in the brush it helps a lot. If you happen to stumble upon a grizzly that is sleeping or one that is not aware of your presence you are probably better off using bear spray at close range. In Alaska I always carried a large caliber rifle.