Best resource for learning foraging skills?

cabinfever

I know a few things like certain plants that I know are edible and such, but I don't know nearly enough about foraging if it came down to it for survival. I can fish or hunt for meat, but I know I'd need more than just meat to survive for long periods and remain healthy. Can I learn these things from books or what would you recommend?

bsmit212

Don't know this for sure, just trying to think. Could you maybe find a local outdoor group/Nature group that might do a weekend trip on forgaging/ local plant life? I am sure there has got to be some groups out there that do this kind of thing, question is if there is one in your local area?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Reminds me of the time I saw a guy lying under a picnic table in a private campground. I asked him what he was doing, and he told me that was where he lived...!!

When he got hungry, he would go foraging nearby. As I remember, he was pretty thin, though...!!

As I recall, he had a poly tarp to cover the table during rainy weather. :crazy:

ppine

Forester
Native Americans and botanists. It is hard to learn from a book. Plant materials are available for a short time each year as food.

I like Coz's idea but it is a recipe for getting sick. Les Stroud pukes all the time.

Most people that you find under a picnic table are losers, not skilled outdoor people living a dream. Most are living a nightmare due to drugs or alcohol. Some are trying to get away from the supply of intoxicants and get straight.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Do a search on foraging and you may find a good site for learning in your area. There is a very competent woman here in Idaho that has classes. I just went to her website and her next course is harvesting the new spring sap rising in the trees for medicinal use. Her course starts in the field learning the different trees before the new leaves emerge, then harvesting the sap. The course then moves inside to learn how to process various saps into usable pharmaceticals. She has courses running year round, because as Ppine said, every plant has a short window for harvesting.

ponderosa

Many national parks have an educational "institute" associated with them, and many offer all sorts of naturalist classes. The Yellowstone Institute offers all sorts of botony classes. May be worth checking out if you're near a park.

ppine

Forester
Yellowstone has a great program. I am not sure if any other one's are in the same league. The same could be said about the wildlife viewing opportunities in the Park. They are the best in the lower 48.

offtrail

Buy a field guide of wild edible plants and go for it. Many good books out there that have drawings and pics. When you go on a walk take your book and a camera, when you find a plant that is edible take a pic. When you get home use (Green Dean) for a second resource just to make sure you have a safe edible. Upload your pics and compare, it's best to have more then one opinion. That's why I have a good field guide and take pics then compare my pics with the website (Green Dean.com)