Biscuit On A CampFire?

Alfredo

I have a Dutch oven. But how long should they cook? Is my regular recipe okay or do I need a special recipe? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Grandpa

With a 12 inch dutch oven, using charcoal, at 4500 ft elevation, use 14 briquets under and 10 over and bake for 22-25 minutes.

ppine

Forester
The shallow baking ovens are best. The secret is you have to use good fat like Crisco or lard.
I like the commerciallyl made biscuits in a tube.
I cook with wood, so I like a lot of top heat, and minimal bottom heat.
In an oven around 350 degreees, 15-18 minutes.

Cappy

I am surprised to see grandpa say more under than over. That does not work here. Heat rises and we use very little under and lots on top I always thought that was the gold standard and then I see the man I admire most when it comes to dutch oven cooking do exactly the opposite of what I have done my whole life.

Grandpa

Whatever works Cappy. Heat does rise and the bottom briquets heat the bottom and the sides while the top briquets just hold the heat at the top. Thats the beauty of cast. It dissipates the heat throughout the metal much better than steel. Incidently, we just had a neighborhood party up in the canyon last night. We must of had about 20-25 dutch ovens full of food. Grandma made a pot of baked beans. I just enjoyed all the good eating.

ppine

Forester
25 Dutch ovens is like a dream.
We are going to have an outdoor party at the end of Sept. I am still working on a theme. Any suggestions?

Grandpa

It was an awesome feed Ppine. Got to meet some of the new folks that just moved in. And always great to chat with the old neighbors. We just don't get out and visit as much as we used to.

Are you doing all the cooking or is every one bringing their specialty? If you have hunters, a wild game theme works well. Another idea may be all Basque recipes (I love their cooking).

Grandma and the girls usually have a big Chinese theme at least once a year. We prefer Cantonese but it's all good if you stay away from the Americanized stuff.