Book review; Build the perfect survival kit by John D. McCann

oldsarge

Build the perfect survival kit.
By John D. McCann
Krause publications
Reviewed by Oldsarge

Being an outdoor enthusiast, I have become more interested in wilderness survival. Time and time again I have found articles touching on what is necessary for surviving in the wilderness. Knowing that the given situation dictates what you’ll need, a survival situation can be a different experience from one person to the next.

John McCann was previously the chief survival instructor with the Wilderness Learning Center in upstate New York. He now operates his own survival business, Survival Resources. John’s tried and true methods of meticulously testing all types of equipment to see how they perform separate this book from other writings on the subject. Ron Hood, who wrote the Foreword in this book and states that not only has John taken hundreds of products, tested and worked them to their limits and beyond, but also placed them in arrangements to form mutually supporting kits that are not only effective and useable but are dependable and reasonable to assemble.

Personally I found that this book to be my answer as to what I need to know about survival kits. John states his concerns over commercially produced kits and clearly details reasoning for different items to be assembled in your own kit. Covering the basics of

*Fire & light
*Signaling
*Navigation
*Water & food collection
*Shelter & personal protection
*Medical
*Knives & tools
*Multi-purpose items

When John covered a given item, he not only informed you of the different types of tools for a given task, but also how those tools individually performed. You are free to make you own decision as to what you’ll need. Another point in John’s techniques of testing so many different items is that now you can choose the pros and cons of each to tailor your kit depending on its size. The kits in this book are not only small backpack types; everything is covered here from mini kits to large kits used on Boats, ATV’s and other vehicles. These also include a variety of containers to house these kits. Everything from small pouches to large packs and vests are covered. There are ample illustrations throughout the 192 page book. Side notes titled “Did you know” & “Fast facts” give the reader additional insight to given topics. The book concludes with an extensive list of suppliers on the items covered in the book in addition to resources to survival training and reading.

I would say this book would be a great asset to anyone who may have an interest in outdoors activities. If you have ever given thought as to what you may need in a given survival situation, John pretty much covers it here. This book is by far the most complete assemblies of information of equipment have found on the given subject. A great book to accompany this one, would be by Cody Lundin, 98,6 degrees The art of keeping your ass alive. These two books should be the absolute minimum required reading for those who venture outdoors and may possibly find them selves in an emergency situation where they need to rely on what’s at hand to survive.

Last edited:

oldsarge

This is my first book review, any feedback is appreciated! Good or bad.

Bojib

I think this in a great review for the book.

I have the same book and have used it several times to make my own kits. I also recommend it to people all the time who are looking to build their own kits.

One thing I always point out with this book, is it is what it says it is, and nothing more. It lets you know how to built a survival kit, not how to use it. If you want to learn survival skills, there are other books out there.

Judy Ann

Excellent book report and very informative. I have survival kits all over (backpack, car, camera bag, home) because of you posting about them earlier in the year. I was looking at pictures I took this summer of my sister and neice and they kept their whistles around their necks everywhere we went (they were provided with individual survival kits when they joined me camping in the mountains this summer). Good luck in the contest!

BeJimmieWew

Its a great follow-up. As an MP though Im quite interested to find out how the OE rules handle the heal pet since the heal pet isnt really in combat how can they remain in it?

ppine

Forester
Knowledge in the outdoors is power. The more you know the less you need.

I was on a Survivalist site for a couple of years. They were great list makers. It was typical for someone to go out with 60-70 pounds of crap trying to cover all of the bases. Then they would get really tired, injure some joints and limp home.

It makes interesting reading, but I ignore most of what I read on survivalist sites.

Northern Dancer

The biggest part of outdoor survival is what's between your ears not what in your kit.
=====> Isn't that true. It wouldn't be the first time I've observed someone pull out some fancy do-dad and not have a clue how to use it. I figure all this stuff I buy is a resource and an aid. No matter the kind of stove I brought (for example) I still know how to cook (properly) over an open fire.