Books on Bushcrafting

oldsarge

I've owned a copy of "Bushcraft" by Richard Graves since the early 70's. It's pretty worn out now and held together by tape here and there. This is one of my favorite book for the outdoors. As the cover states, "You can survive in the wilderness with only a knife and this book", was probably the reason it caught my eye. The book is only 4"x7"x1" which make it easily to pack in the field.

I tried to replace my copy with a newer one, but could not find one around. I did however find a great replacement. "Camping and Woodcraft" by Horace Kephart. This is a handbook for vacation campers and travelers in the wilderness. Almost the same size as the original "Bushcraft", this copy is 5"x7"x2". This is actually two books together and has replaced my old stand by in the field.

Any one who is looking for a great piece of reading material for the field, I highly suggest obtaining a copy of either of these books.

familytents

Oh wow. All the books mentioned by everyone above sound great. I'd love to learn some bushcrafting skills. I watch Survivorman a lot, but I'd rather have it in hard copy for the road. I'll check these books out for sure.

familytents

Whoa! Only a $186 for a new Graves? That's a lot on my pathetic bank account. But who cares? If I really want something I'll get it, especially a book with value. I actually can't wait to dive into these books.

oldsarge

Looks like you can get a used one for under $40. Might be worth looking into. As much as I like my copy, I'd be hard pressed to pay that much for one. Especially when there's so many other authors out there with great books. If you are fairly new to the topic, you will soon find that a lot of these book repeat each other. There' only so much you can retain by reading. You really need to get out and practice the skills. One good book can take you a long way.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
For those who are new to bushcrafting and don't want to shell out $186.00, check out this guy: Mors Kochanski

He is the new "Nessmuk", so to speak. He is a very fascinating guy.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I did however find a great replacement. "Camping and Woodcraft" by Horace Kephart. This is a handbook for vacation campers and travelers in the wilderness. Almost the same size as the original "Bushcraft", this copy is 5"x7"x2". This is actually two books together and has replaced my old stand by in the field.
That is still one of my favorites and I have read quite a few books on the subject. I like the older ones with drawings. Horace Kephart wrote a series of articles that were first published into a stunning and wonderful book in 1906, Camping and Woodcraft. This big book covers just about everything and is laced with his amusing and fascinating philosophy.

familytents

Does the book, Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephardt, cover shelters? Or does the book by Daniel Carter Beard go into more depth on this topic? I wouldn't mind buying the book by Graves, if it covers everything, but I imagine, over the years new ways have been developed, hence the new book, right? The name Kephardt, close to my grandpas name, Gephardt. Just thought it was sort of cool.

oldsarge

Does the book, Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephardt, cover shelters? Or does the book by Daniel Carter Beard go into more depth on this topic? I wouldn't mind buying the book by Graves, if it covers everything, but I imagine, over the years new ways have been developed, hence the new book, right? The name Kephardt, close to my grandpas name, Gephardt. Just thought it was sort of cool.
The wood craft section of Kephart's books covers basic shelters and cabin building. It's been a long time since I've looked through my buddies Foxfire books, but I believe it covers more in depth shelter and cabin building.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
The best shelter building book I've run across is still "Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties" by D.C.Beard. He covers everything from simple brush shelters to log cabins.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
You can preview the first 16 pages of Shelters, Shacks and Shanties . It looks like it is much more in depth on that one subject. The contents pages show a ton of information. I have just about talked myself into getting this one. It is one that has been on my radar for some time.
You won't regret it. Well, it made me wish I had this book when I was a young sprout.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Stargazer

I am not familiar with bushcraft at all but it seems like it would be very exciting to learn. I will definitely have to check a couple of these books.