Busy recipes

carmen

We all like quick recipes around the campfire but I love the prep work of it. Anything to help keep my hands busy is a good thing because I need the extra work to keep the blood moving due to bad circulation. Does anyone have any busy recipes to share? Those that take a little more prep work than most like to do? I would love to get a few new ones.

Grandpa

Grandma suggested baking bread. The mixing and kneading requires a lot of manual manipulation and the rewards are great with good dutch oven homemade bread for the family.

DuctTape

Fresh foods to cut especially vegetables. Onions take time to chop and can be used in almost any dish plus they keep well without refrigeration.

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
Fresh trout and feta tortellini

First a simple egg pasta dough:

Flour (durum or even AP in a pinch)
An egg
Water (careful, it doesn't take much!)
A dab of oil (mix it rather dry to feel but it needs to be silky smooth.)
A pinch of salt

Hand kneed (mix) ...Then roll out really thin... We used a full can of soda as a rolling pin.
Cut into 1.5" rounds... Free hand or use the top of a Red Bull can.

Then just off center, place a small tab of raw trout and a small crumble of feta cheese.(don't overstuff!)
Wet 1/2 of the pasta round with water (egg wash if you feel fancy), fold over & finger crimp, then a few minutes later turn it back onto itself around a pencil, into a closed C shape and pinch the two ends together. Let set for 15-25 minutes.

Meanwhile sauté minced garlic and a little butter in a pan. Deglaze in white wine and add sour cream and a little grated parm cheese for the sauce.

Then cook the tortellini, in salted boiling water for about 4 minutes or until it floats.

Combine the torts and sauce with a light toss.

Serve with "grilled cheese style" garlic bread and the rest of the wine.

You might want to practice making the tortellini, a time or two at home, before doing it out camping. ;-)

This is a great recipe especially if the fishing wasn't great... We made a good meal for two with one smallish trout!

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Spaghetti sauce requires lots of tending when done right. A large crowd or a varied menu can make you as busy as you want to be.