Camelbak or an off brand?

carmen

We fell in love with the Camelbak when we bought our own, I was just out today at Dick's Sporting and I caught a few of the Kids Camelbak's but also a few off brands. Does anyone have an off brand for a water container? I am wondering how good they are compared to the Camelbak (for kids or adults).

ponderosa

We've had both. I can see no significant difference between the Camelbak and the Outdoor Products bladders (available at target and I think walmart). Same materials, same seams, similar bite valve, same performance. My favorite is by Ultimate Direction because it has a roll top opening that makes it super easy to fill and clean.

Barney

Sometimes you need to try before making a commitment. I once bought a Chinese backpack for a few bucks. It lasted ten years. I used to bring it to gym only but hey 10 years is 10 years.

Bojib

I have a couple off brand water bladders. One is an Outdoor Products, the other is a Cabela's branded bladder. My wife has a Camelbak.

The Outdoor Products one I carry more often. It's smaller, so is better for the shorter hikes. I also like it because the hose is easy to remove, as is the bite valve, so it makes it a lot easier to clean and dry out. It doesn't seem as well constructed, but has been holding up just fine. The one thing I don't like about it is that it is hard to get the clip in my backpack through the top of the bladder to hold it upright. It seems to be made to use with the Outdoor Products backpacks with a velcro strap instead of a clip to hold the bladder in place.

The Cabela's one is of better construction of both the Camelback and Outdoor Products, at least a tougher material anyway. It's pretty tough to get the hose off the bag, and valve from the hose. It doesn't use a bit valve either, it's more like the type of valve you find on a water bottle, so you always have to remember to close it after getting a drink. So, not really much of an issue.

I can't comment much on the Camelbak, but my wife really seems to enjoy it. It has a wider opening for filling water, and the hose and valve will come off with a bit of persuasion, so cleaning everything is possible.

GA_gal

What are price differences where off brands and the Camelbaks are concerned? If the price difference isn't major, I'd probably just go with a Camelbak. I know they're expensive but at the same time, you know you're getting a quality product. If the off brands are like, half the price of the Camelbaks though, I would go with an off brand.

bsmit212

I have used both Camelbaks and I have one from high sierra one that I got because it was a good deal. Both have worked the fine.

CamperinSeattle

I currently use a Platypus bladder and it seems to be holding up fine. It was cheaper option than Camelback but it works and fits well in my pack.

rodneyjphelps

I have multiple Camelback items (bottles, bladders & packs) and a Plataypus filter. I also have bladders I bought at WM. Both packs work fine and I actually prefer the smaller packs for quick hikes but for longer hikes I take my Camel. I stand by Camelback and their outstanding warranty...lifetime. Since they'll be for kids, gather from the original post, I'd go the off brand route and upgrade as needed.

ppine

Forester
Recently I broke down and bought a Platypus bladder with a tube to go in the top of my old Kelty pack. It makes drinking while moving easier and rolls up when it is empty. I kind of like it.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I've found that a lot of cheap brands leave a plastic taste in the water no matter how many times you rinse them out. Camelbak used to have that issue as well, which is why I switched over to Platypus bladders in the early days of hydration bladders. Platypus leaves no taste. The newer Camelbaks have gotten better in that respect but most of the cheapies I've tried lately still produce water that tastes awful.