Camp Furniture?

Barney

Do you lug furniture with you on camping? Are you a light camper which brings only a few things or are you completely confused what should you bring so you often end up packing your entire house with you?

ChadTower

When with the family I bring folding chairs so we can sit around the fire, an EZ Up canopy for rain cover, and air mattresses. I have a whole pickup bed to fill, though.

Barney

That is great and although not completely lightweight it is smart. I asked this question because I had a neighbor that used to carry full wooden chairs in his pickup truck and I bet he had no idea that there are lighter chairs for that specific purpose.

ChadTower

Yeah, that's foolish. For $10 each you can get some decent folding chairs that pack up relatively small. And they're useful all over the place, not just camping.

Bambi

If you go to where there are picnic tables, you don't need much more than that. Those little camp stools that fold flat are indespensible.

Lorax

I don't but more and more I find myself eyeing up perhaps a Sling Back chair or other super lightweight options for my paddling trips.

Gondor

I use ground cloth to sit on and backpack to rest my head. Although it's not technically a ground cloth but all weather blanket that is thick enough to keep my butt warm.

Lorax

Lorax/ I have one of those sling Light Chairs......they are very comfortable and perfect for a canoe trip.
I've tried one that an good friend of mine had (RIP Mataharihiker...you are missed by all) . She brought it on many trips and she swore by them. It kept her comfortable through all of her problems she dealt with on the trail.

At 16 oz. and as comfortable as they are, I will probably get one.

Refrigerator

Lorax/ I have many friends who knew Mataharihiker... and all have spoken very kind words and have expressed a personal loss. She must have touched many lives.

Lorax

I spent many nights around a fire with that lady and in the last few years, would do anything to help her get in and out of where she wanted to go. Humping her gear (and even arguing with her about making her ride in my gear sled back up the mountain) was always an honor. As long as she wanted to go out and do it, she had people willing to do whatever it took.

The prayer flags over her tent or hammock and the smoke from the fire was always a great sight to see as we'd come back in from the trail and were always welcomed back with water being kept warm for all and a big hug from our matriarch of the upper midwest outdoor community.

Linda was not only a great friend, but a beautiful and very unique person.

Last edited:

Amelie

No - I make it a challenge to travel as lightly as possible. I roll out my bed mat onto an groundsheet that I have cut down for this purpose. If I'm not camping (and so do not have bedd roll) I still pack this small piece of groundsheet to sit on - it is one of my most used pieces of equipment.