camping and outdoor gear?

Roybrew

Hello and welcome Mathew169. That would depend on what type of camping you do. For light weight and specialty items I would look a place like REI, and others similar.

I either boat in, or drive in my stuff more often, so bulk and weight isn't as much a huge issue as would be backpacking it in.

What type of season you go camping dictates a lot about the gear you need also. I read forums, like this one, to hear what experienced people say about what gear they need or pack. The more stuff you take is more you have to keep up with. I get frustrated with myself because I bring to much.

I may get some stuff from discount stores, online merchants, specialty shops and sometimes I'll make things, I like making camping gear.

Where ever you get you stuff from, the goal is to just get out and enjoy camping, nature, solitude and what ever floats you boat.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Hi Mathew 189!
When I was backpacking I used to mailorder from Campmore (watch for sales and end of season items). I Jeep camp now so weight is no longer an issue; and gear is cheaper.
https://www.campmor.com/
I haven't bought any thing there for several years so do a price comparison before buying.

Any more I shop for nonstandard camping items any where that I can find them; Harbor freight is a good source for double sided imitation Velcro strap.
https://www.harborfreight.com/
(can, also, regularly get a free flashlight; with coupon and purchase)... making a trip to the local store today to get a large Apache case, a smart battery charger and a free flashlight... warning be careful they have a lot of worthless junk... they are my favorite place for silver (heavy) ground tarps; think that I got the last bundle of nail type tent stakes there... cheaper than wallymart..
Amazon has gotten a lot of my business; got a quite nice Chinese alcohol stove there before Christmas, will likely get a one burner butane/propane Gas 1 stove or a commercial (thinner) gas hotplate there, when I get around to it.
REI and other commercial outfitters have almost completely lost me for any thing but looking due to their prices.
I regularly look through the Cabelas catalogue for Ideas and outfitter level stuff; again wait for sales and bargain cave items...
https://www.cabelas.com/
I got my 10x10 canopy and regulary get replacement camping chairs at the local wally mart when they have a sale...(only get the fat people (350 lb. rated) chairs the others give out/collapse too easily; usually with much laughter around the campfire...).

..I regularly hit up the local surplus stores for tent stakes , 550/parachute cord, ammo cans and other small items..

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Cappy

Welcome. Your question is a lil vague. Tell us where and how ya plan to camp , hike etc and what ya interested in and its easier to recomend stuff that way.

Northern Dancer

Where do I hound...err, mean look for camping and outdoor gear?

The first thing for me is, "What do I want and how much I'm I prepared to pay for it?" So where do I look ->

EVERYWHERE!
The best of the best outdoor stores [always checking the sale items]
Dollar Stores
Value Village and other similar outlets
Local independently owned stores
Garage Sales
Provincial/State Parks
Outfitters Canoe Trip organizations
Surplus Stores
Word of Mouth
Exchange Centres
Kijiji
Notice Boards
and the like.

I think that should just about do it.

ppine

Forester
I buy very little outdoor gear.
My stuff is old and dependable with a few exceptions.
I use a ULA pack from Utah for everything. One pack.
I like tarps now instead of tents for backpacking.