Camping in a Hurricane?

mamabear

Many years ago, I remember camping on the beach in a tent with my folks. That's when there weren't so many restrictions in place. During the night, a rather strong tropical storm moved through giving us a night to remember. Everything was wet, ten flooded, equipment washed away, etc. I guess we were lucky it was not a full hurricane although we felt like it was one. After that, my dad became an avid weather watcher. Anyone have a similar experience?

swebob

I wouldn't even want to think about being in a tent when a hurricane is passing..

I live in Fort lauderdale Florida and have been through many hurricanes, In fact when katrina made land fall here i just happened to be leaving work and it had already blown in the garage doors at Sears. During Wilma about 20 car in my condo where moved sidesways in their parking spaces and many blown over.

You could have good story to tell if you made it though a hurricane in a tent..

ppine

Forester
When the weather gets really bad, fold up the tents and spend the night in any shelter you can find like rock outrops. Sleeping is not possible.

Sagebrusher

Many years ago, I remember camping on the beach in a tent with my folks. That's when there weren't so many restrictions in place. During the night, a rather strong tropical storm moved through giving us a night to remember. Everything was wet, ten flooded, equipment washed away, etc. I guess we were lucky it was not a full hurricane although we felt like it was one. After that, my dad became an avid weather watcher. Anyone have a similar experience?
Do you remember the location and year? Might be able to figure out which storm it was.

Newanderthal

Camped through Gustav and Ike and was swimming in Daytona for Hannah (all 3 were in the same year). In 09 I was on Walkabout and got caught in another one. I was camping in a tarp shelter supported by trekking poles. Don't remember the name of that one.

Gustav and Ike were both fun. I camped beneath an overpass for those two. My dog had a blast.

Lorax

On the side of Mt. Madison during Hurricane Floyd.
9 inches of rain and 9 inches of snow stuck in a tent for 2.5 days with winds at a constant 70+ mph with higher gusts as the White mountains of NH are known for. W sat with our backs to the wind because of the stress on the tent.

Eureka K-2 XT kept us as dry as a popcorn fart, all 15 tie downs used and it still preforms like a champ today. It's my heavy 4 season winter shelter.

ejdixon

Had a pretty similar experience back when I was camping with my buddies during our college days. Wasn't really a hurricane, but it started raining rather hard on our 2nd day camping. Thankfully, our tents were able to hold up and we managed to still stay dry throughout the heavy rain.

woodsman

Always be smart about where you set up your shelter. For example, a dried up riverbed is not the safest place to setup your tent, even if you are in the desert.

Penelope

You are so right Woodsman! If I have learned anything from my 12 years of watching survivor-it is always consider everything before setting up your shelter. Lol

I have never been caught in a hurricane or anything like that. I am sure that a situation like that would be terrifying! I live in the Midwest and the worst I have had is a bit of rain.

Lorax

We've been caught in that Hurricane and went to higher elevations to get out of the trees. We've also been in two storms (wife and I) where there were straight line winds nearby. I can think of another particular one where my buddy and I were in the BWCA and set up just as a strong cell appeared quickly. The weather radio didn't even have anything on it until after it formed. We were 20 feet away from each other in hammocks and I yelled over to him a few times if he was alright. The next morning, he was telling me he was yelling to me. It was so bad, we couldn't hear each other yelling even that close.

I've seen more than my share of some really nasty stuff. Thankfully, those days are few and far between.

Grandpa

Hurricanes? Tornadoes? Tropical Storms? I'll stick to my mountains where all I have to worry about is a little July/August snow:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Bottom line, if you are prepared mentally and physically, it is just another great adventure. Leave either out and it can be a nightmare or worse.

Sagebrusher

We've been caught in that Hurricane and went to higher elevations to get out of the trees. We've also been in two storms (wife and I) where there were straight line winds nearby. I can think of another particular one where my buddy and I were in the BWCA and set up just as a strong cell appeared quickly. The weather radio didn't even have anything on it until after it formed. We were 20 feet away from each other in hammocks and I yelled over to him a few times if he was alright. The next morning, he was telling me he was yelling to me. It was so bad, we couldn't hear each other yelling even that close.

I've seen more than my share of some really nasty stuff. Thankfully, those days are few and far between.
Were you in the '99 blowdown, too?

Lorax

Were you in the '99 blowdown, too?
I was not at BWCA when that went through although I know a few people who were there and saw it as it was going on. To hear what they saw as it was happening is incredible and I can tell you by the looks in their eyes telling it years later, they feared for their lives.
My one friend was guiding and it took them days to get out hauling gear and canoes up and over 30 foot stacks of blowdowns on the portages which were very hard to find due to all the trees laying along the shorelines.

They gathered during that storm in the most open spots they could, huddling arms clasped to each other in circles to watch out for trees falling. They described entire shorelines of forests getting knocked down like dominoes right before their eyes.

Judy Ann

I have a deep appreciation for hurricane damage after living in coastal SC, but two new tents were taken out for their first run with tropical storms pending during my first six months of learning to camp.

I hiked into a site on Hunting Island State Park perfectly situated on a lovely point beneath some ancient Live Oak trees carrying my brand new REI Halfdome tent for my second ever solo camping trip. I did look up before setting up the tent to check for widow makers and that is where wisdom started failing. The Front was moving in quickly so I threw up the tent, grabbed the pup, and proceeded to pray really hard for the rest of the night. I had read many reviews about my tent so I felt confident that it would hold up, however with all of the lightening and thunder lasting for what seemed like an eternity it occurred to me that I had never asked about tent safety and lightening...the tent held up perfectly, no rain got inside and as soon as it got light enough to find my way back to the car I left.

My parents gifted me my springbar-type tent (Kodiak) a few months later and I tested that one on the Outer Banks with another tropical storm blowing in. Folks here gave great advice for methods of staking a tent in sand so once again I was feeling confident. I found a spot behind a large dune thinking it would help shield this new tent from the wind. Pure adrenalin got that 60 pound canvas tent up in the whirling wind and rain (picture of this in my journeys album after the rain). Well, everyone commented about how surprised they were that the tent still stood after the storm, granted it listed a bit to the right afterwards, but that canvas tent didn't collapse that night.

Lessons that I learned:
Knowing that your tent will keep you dry and not blow away in a tropical storm...priceless
Beginners luck and dumb luck are pretty much the same
Carry a SPOT so your family knows you're safe
Preparation is everything!