Can use some advice!

oldsarge

My son will be returning from an overseas assignment with the Marines and wants to plan a trip. He's looking at doing some camping in Utah (Monticello area) and New Mexico(Chaco area). I heard due to Covid19 some places are closed for camping. How do I find areas with BLM and USFS that allow free camping outside of the park areas? My son has sent me some info but I'm finding it a bit confusing. I need points of contacts to find out what's available. Any suggestions?

oldsarge

Also, I need to see about dispersed camping, with a vehicle and local laws for carrying a sidearm for personal protection.

Grandpa

Last I heard Utah is still not constitutional carry, but according to usacarry.com anyone can open carry as long as you are two steps from firing. ie, with a semi auto you can have a full mag but nothing chambered. A license holder can be chambered.

We have camped many places down there but not since covid. Hard to say what the BLM is doing these days. I know BLM has gestapo types prowling the canyons around here wearing armor and carrying M16's. Forest service guys are still normal good guys. Our local BLM people and interagency fire fighters just steer clear of the gestapo.