Can you make a fire without flint?

cabinfever

I have a large number of matches put away in my emergency supplies, as well as several flints. However, it just occurred to me that if anything happens to the matches and flints, I'm not certain I could get a fire started. Is there anything besides the friction of rubbing two sticks together? And does that really work anyway?

Grandpa

Lots of options before I resort to rubbing two sticks together. If you haven't developed the skill to use alternate methods, throw a large magnifying glass in your stash. It may have other uses than starting fires but works great for that too.

Gondor

You can literally have 10 methods of starting a fire but you need to carry equipment with you. I would be more concerned with finding a good waterproof container and lashing it to me than learning how to rub two sticks together to make fire.

ppine

Forester
Magnesium match and a knife blade or a piece of hacksaw blade.
Magnifying glass
Car battery
Matches
Lighter
Propane stove

Last edited:

TakeAHike

I am pretty sure I couldn't do it, but I watched the people on Amazing Race start a fire with 2 sticks, some grassy material and some sort of animal poop. I would probably try the magnifying glass first but that only works if the sun is out.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I have a large number of matches put away in my emergency supplies, as well as several flints. However, it just occurred to me that if anything happens to the matches and flints, I'm not certain I could get a fire started. Is there anything besides the friction of rubbing two sticks together? And does that really work anyway?
Friction fire methods do work but as with ALL methods one must practice until competent. Many other methods mentioned here are easier to get down pretty well than friction fire. I have found the bow drill to be the easiest method for friction and I only need to carry some cordage for the bow string but the bearing part is much easier if I carry a thick small sea shell I found years ago in the Sea of Cortez. It is much better than making one from wood or rock. The other materials should be from your own environment and they have to be fairly specific to work well. Out here I like last season's yucca stalks for the base and the drill, a mesquite branch for the bow. Dry tinder for the nest part is essential.

I don't rely on that and always have a Light my Fire Firesteel in my kit with some loose cotton balls and a piece of fatwood. The firesteel alone will light up any stove with a stroke of the scraper so it is in constant use in our camps. I don't make many campfires as they take all my attention away from the desert and the skies. If I want to cook I use a small stove and if I want to read I use a headlamp. But if you need a wood fire, that will get you there quick and without fail if you have some dry tinder and kindling.

A Bic lighter is cheap insurance and I have one but never have to pull it out. Girlfriend carries her Coleman camp matches. I get her fresh boxes every year.

cabinfever

I didn't think of a magnifying glass but I know I can do that, as I have before. Just slipped my mind when I brought up the topic. I'm going to get that firesteel mentioned above as that sounds perfect, but I'll also going to search for firemaking as Pathmaker said. I think having several alternatives is the smart choice.

Reed

Nope. Can't say that I can make a fire without flint. If it's dry enough I could probably use the sparks from banging two rocks together near kindling, but I've never been in a position yet to where I had to.

TDale

pocket fresnel lens, credit card size
9 volt battery and steel wool
water into acid

dinosaur

troublemaker
I don't want to be a stickler, but lighters do not qualify as an alternative here. They use flint.

Grandpa

Got a box of stick matches here someplace. No flint there.

Every fire extinguisher salesman and cub scout leader uses the method Tdales mentioned of a 9 volt battery and steel wool to show how easily a fire can accidently start in the kitchen drawer.

And what kid hasn't got something burning with a magnifying glass?

The question is "do you have any of these things when you really need to start a fire?"
In my case no, but I bet I do have a bic or other flint type ignition source handy.

Cappy

Yall have heard me mention that canteen of ever clear that has always been my companion before. Not only will it and a small spark start a fire it'll trim ya facial hair while doing it. :p

IHeartDirt

I have seen magnifying glass lenses woven into macrame necklaces around some kids' necks in my town recently. They looked more like hippie kids than survivalists, then I realized that they weren't using their necklaces to start camp fires. o.0

Last edited: