Cave Tours?

sarahlorrain

I couldn't find the right folder for this, so I thought i'd just put it here.

Has anyone been on the more difficult cave tours where you get to go through smaller passages. They are more dangerous than the generic tour, and usually small children aren't allowed. Anyway, they sound like a lot of fun, but I was hoping to hear from someone that's been on one.

HereToday

I've been on several cave tours, but the nice generic ones where you stand in a big cavern and say"ooh" and "aah". Going through little passageways, even in my thoughts, gets my claustrophobia screaming!
sarahlorrain, there is a book written in the 1970s, called "Shibumi". It's kind of an espionage book, but alot of the story is devoted to people doing extreme caving like you describe, and that part of the book is vivid and fascinating, even for fraidy cats like me! Should you ever see the book, you might like to pick it up.

dtinnan

Theres a cave near our home that the kids n I like to go exploring in. lots of fun, several small places you have to inchworm through. lots of fun!

tater03

I have been on cave tours but only the ones where you have to have a tour guide. They were fun either way thought. I haven't been to one in years though. Where are your favorites ones?

sarahlorrain

The only cave I've been to in the past decade is Longhorn Caverns in Central Texas. When I was a child, I was able to go to Carlsbad Caverns. That was AMAZING and I would love to go again.

HereToday

When I was quite little we went to a cave that had fascinating huge crystals. I remember them quite vividly but have forgotten the name of the cave. Carlsbad Caverns, perhaps? Those crystals were fantastic!

Kitten

I've gone on some slightly more difficult ones, but nothing too major. Ones where we'd end up in waist-deep water or would have to crawl through some spaces were certainly interesting, but I don't know how much more I can handle.

HereToday

I admire you guys that can "inchworm" through little caves and slog through waist-high water in your cave adventures! There's no way I could attempt that. I have a risk-taking older brother that used to shanghai me for some of his most dangerous stunts, such as up cliffs and speeding motorcycles, but he knew he couldn't get me into a cave!

mom2manyboyz

Haven't been on the "dangerous" ones, but I carried my one and a half year old through a less dangerous one. That was quite a work out by the time it was over.

jason

fear no beer
I am planning a week trip in May to the Carolina's, KY, TN area, and would love to know if there are some caves like that. I forgot where it was, but I went to Jesse James Caverns (at least I think that was the name), and it was nice. It was your normal type of cave tour though. But it was fun. I may have to post pictures soon.

HereToday

Sea Lion Cave

I know that it isn't your standard cave trek, but in Oregon just above a coastal community called Florence there is a sea lion cave that you take an elevator about 150-200 feet down into. Very fragrant and loud, but unlike any other cave you'll ever see! Their website is Sea Lion Caves and they even have a webcam of the sea lions.

nymike

Wild cave tours

I would suggest the Wild Cave Tours in either Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky or in Wind Cave National Park in South Dakota. They are led by park rangers who know their stuff, and the tours, though a little wet and muddy, are fairly safe.

The biggest thing is, if you have any problem at all with enclosed spaces, do NOT go on a wild cave tour, as you will be crawling through some very narrow spaces, which isn't for everyone.

The park rangers will give you full instruction on what will be required for the tour, and will help you out along the way. I would advise going online to both parks and researching the information they have on these tours. You'll be better prepaired to make a decision if this sort of tour is right for you.

Hope this helps.

camperz

I have been to a cave trip. The cave was at the top of a mountain.
With really narrow passages. I love screaming at such places. its a lot of fun.
Would love to have a cave trip again, this vacation.

freedom

sounds very facinating I'm sure there must be some cave tours here in Melbourne especially in the aboriginal areas. I'm really looking forward to going on a tour although I wonder is there like a average weight that you cannot pass to join the tour?

Brian

cave tours can be very fun especially for those people looking for an adventure. But I have to admit when you try squeeze through those small cracks & holes who can't help but think what would happen if the rocks moved just an inch! Not to scare anyone but that feeling can be dangerous for some folks.

agnes21

I would suggest the giant cave tours in belgium. They have a special lights and sound effects on the cave. You won't see any speaker, but it has a natural echo