Cell Phones at the Camp Site

Blazer

I agree. Everyone likes to say how much they hate them but I couldn't go away and be at peace without my cell phone because I know that my kids can reach me if I'm needed. Not to mention that they are invaluable if there is emergency. If a cell phone is used as a PHONE I'm all for them.

I'd like to smack the person who decided to put a CAMERA in them as I despise having my picture taken all the time/anytime and that's what people do constantly. You can't do ANYTHING these days without someone taking your picture and plastering on social media and it's just plain irritating.

And don't get me started on how you can't even have a simple conversation with anyone these days without their head being buried in their phone. I think we've gone just a bit too far with our cell phones. As phones though, they work great.

HardyC

Most of the camp sites where we go camping are all out of cell range till you make it to the next town. To me this is a good thing because I know that no one will bother us and we won't be tempted to use it. It's nice to get away from the everyday and camping is the best way to do that.

Blazer

I prefer to get away too but with my son living with me I like to be in touch. I was camping at Harriman these past two weekend and had cell service almost everywhere. I'm changing providers soon, from Sprint to Verizon, just to get better coverage.

Once I'm on my own, sans kids, and move away it won't be as much as a factor.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Twitter, facebook, e-mail, and checking stock quotes aren't exactly my reasons for camping. Cell phones are okay at the campsite as long as they are shut off. I consider them an emergency tool.

Nature25

I can say that I have been guilty of this crime now and then. I try really hard when I'm out in the woods camping to not have my phone on. Sometimes, especially if it is a rainy camping experience then having a phone or a tablet isn't such a bad thing.

ponderosa

Those of you who think calling is more time effective than texting have never tried to hang up on my sister. Texting saves me hours a week. ;)
As far as camping/hiking/backpacking, I'd far prefer to leave the phone at home. Actually, I do leave mine at home. But hubby is on call for work 24/7 every danged day of the year. If we're out of cell range, he has a satellite phone. And they don't hesitate to use it either. Hiking in Hawaii... on the phone. Paddling in Nova Scotia...on the phone. On a mountain in remotest Idaho...on the phone. But ya know, it pays the bills and finances the hiking trips, so I've learned to deal with it.

ponderosa

Grandpa, don't you tell her I said that. Or her husband cause he'd tell her for sure just for his own entertainment. . . And then I'd have to be on the phone for a really loooooong time talking about it. ;)

Charlotte

I really do think people take it to far. We went on a camping trip recently and people sat around the fire with their phones. I do bring my phone with me but only for emergencies. I don't carry it on me and all times. I think more people should consider this and enjoy their time in the wilderness.

bsmit212

I normally take mine with me but keep it off execpt for 1 daily check in with the Wife so she does not worry the whole time I am gone and in case of emergancy (luckly never needed it for this situation).

Denni2

My phone is always with me. We don't have cell service where we camp but I have my books on it so I use it to read.

Pathwacker

I hunt areas several miles deep and can get easily spun around. I do not rely on my cellphone. Sun angles, compass, and growth patterns of mosses. Camping with the htt at a campground its used. Why not, we do not start campfires. Fishing on land, canoe, or boat and the phone is in the pocket.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Cellphones are a wonderful addition to communicative device. I guess the big question is: do you want to communicate with anyone outside of your area while you are out in nature enjoying the look of it, the strength and power of what you are viewing. Is it important to you to text an innocuous comment or play a video game, find out what's going on in your business, see where a stock is trading, then you don't really belong where you are. Go back and be what you are, a city dweller. That's not a bad thing It's just not that right with this site, one involved with a basecamp.