Cheapest High Quality Bushcraft Knives?

Barney

Mora surprises me all the time. I have no idea how they can offer such quality knives (and it is obvious that they are of high quality considering what materials they use) at such low prices.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
That new Mora Robust looks great, It's like my companion but with a much thicker blade. $18 on eBay right now, amazing deal! I love good steel at a good deal.

My BK-2 is a perfect match to a Mora. Actually if I only had one blade, it would be the Becker. It's a wood processing machine as well as a good carver/food prep knife. I've stripped the black finish, added walnut scales and my wife had a custom sheath made for it. So it's kinda pricey at this point, but in stock form it's $65 on amazon. 1/4" thick 1095 made In USA steel.

I'll add pics when I get 15 posts. It's my avatar until then.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
That new Mora Robust looks great, It's like my companion but with a much thicker blade. $18 on eBay right now, amazing deal! I love good steel at a good deal.

$15 at the Ragweed Forge. I really like my Robust. It is fast becoming my favorite. Fits my hand like it was made just for me.

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

Hard to believe they can make such quality knives for the price. The only thing that comes close from a price/quality standpoint to my mind is the Opinel folding knives.They make great camp knives for cooking or just tucking away in case you need one.

Gondor

My BK-2 is a perfect match to a Mora. Actually if I only had one blade, it would be the Becker. It's a wood processing machine as well as a good carver/food prep knife. I've stripped the black finish, added walnut scales and my wife had a custom sheath made for it. So it's kinda pricey at this point, but in stock form it's $65 on amazon. 1/4" thick 1095 made In USA steel.

That thing weighs half a pound and therefore I would not even consider it for anything besides heavy chopping and wood processing. It is a great knife though. Why would you prep food and carve with that beast?! I mean you could if you needed to.

Barney

I love this knife. It really is a beast! I believe it is probably the best cheapest high quality survival blade. Would love to see the pics. Add them to the DIY tools section.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
That thing weighs half a pound and therefore I would not even consider it for anything besides heavy chopping and wood processing. It is a great knife though. Why would you prep food and carve with that beast?! I mean you could if you needed to.
I love this knife. It really is a beast! I believe it is probably the best cheapest high quality survival blade. Would love to see the pics. Add them to the DIY tools section.
As far as fine carving goes, my mora or case pocket knife wins, but the BK2 will carve very well for any of my camping/backpacking needs.
Other than that it can split 4" waterlogged limbs down to the dry heartwood and make kindling all the way to feather sticks and dust. It out slices my shaving sharp mora companion for food prep. And was the knife to have when helping some buddies process 3 deer last week. The more I use it the more I like it. For major chopping though(camping not backpacking), I pack a small axe.

I've got lots of blade, camp and DIY gear pics to post. This is a very cool group here, I'll probobally stick around for a while.

Gondor

I though the definition of a slicer was a knife that is thin enough to slice easily. BK2 has a massive spine. Anyways, you probably know the best why you're using this knife so kudos to the commitment.

offtrail

Does Mora make a knife you can use to process fire wood? Or should I get the BK-2 for batoning firewood? Thanks for the help.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
You can baton wood with a Mora. I've batoned wood with my Moras and my SAK. While some knives are better than others at "processing" wood, I routinely use my SAK for batoning wood for my twig burners.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
If your intentions are to baton, I'd go with a full tang blade. Moras will baton, and I've never had this happen to me, but I've heard of the handle and blade separating with heavy use.
However the newer hd 3/16" blades have a deeper tang and should take some serious abuse(because batoning IS abuse).

All that said, my bk-2 would baton through a car door if I needed.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
As with any tool and user....True skill lies in using a tool unintended for the job and achiving good results.

Any knife will work, just be more creative and less abusive. And practice, practice, practice.

Happy holidays!!

Barney

As with any tool and user....True skill lies in using a tool unintended for the job and achiving good results.

Any knife will work, just be more creative and less abusive. And practice, practice, practice.

Happy holidays!!
I agree that skill comes with time and practice, practice, practice, like you said. You need to be consistent and use your tool often for this.

Happy holidays!!

EmberMike

I use a Condor Bushlore. Not as cheap as a Mora, they retail for about $35, but you can often find them on eBay for $25. Even at retail price I think they're a bargain, though.

Out of the box they have a matte gray blade finish and the handles can be a little less than perfect. But some quick work with sandpaper and linseed oil gets the scales in nice shape.

ppine

Forester
After being on a bushcraft forum, I tried a Mora knife for canoeing. It is stainless with a plastic sheath, and handle. Perfect for life around the water.

oldsarge

As with any tool and user....True skill lies in using a tool unintended for the job and achieving good results.

Happy holidays!!
I think Boroffski pretty much summed it up right here! We can all get caught up in what's the best of anything, but it all boils down to your skills in how to use it. You can have the most expensive 007 Ninja warrior multi function bat tool there is, but it means nothing if you don't know how to use it. If you were in a pinch and had to find a piece of rusty steel somewhere, sharpen it up and make it work for you, what more could you ask for.