Cheesy Enchilada Casserole

Blueskyy

My sister-in-law is pregnant with twins so every time I go on Pinterest lately it is filled with all kinds of recipes. This is one she posted over the weekend that looked really yummy though! We are having it for dinner tonight!

carmen

Enchiladas are great but I would have to add some hot sauce in, for some reason lately I am on a hot sauce kick. And congrats for those twins. My daughters friend from high school just had twins herself and they are more than a little busy with those blessings around. Fun, quick recipes are the best ways to go with a packed house.

Greatoutdoors

These sound really good! I would probably add a little more spice to them too and maybe some bacon...sorry I am on a bacon kick lately!

Blueskyy

Thanks for the congrats! They are really excited and she is trying to find recipes that either freeze well or can be prepared ahead. My family loved this recipe and I can totally get behind adding bacon Great!

SusieQ

Yum! I love anything with the word cheese! Cheesy is even better. Forget the hot sauce though. I love Mexican food and I love Pinterest! I pulled off a couple of soup recipes yesterday.

Blueskyy

Just an update because I made this again. This time I made two and I did add bacon! ;) We had one for dinner this week and it was delicious, and I have got the other one in the freezer. I just wanted to see if this recipe would hold up well in the freezer, and my sister-in-law only has so much time to experiment.

She doesn't know it, but I am actually going to take her a cooler full of individually frozen casseroles and soups for when the babies are born. :)

ppine

Forester
I like to make enchiladas in a Dutch oven. Stacking them is easy. Assemble the ingredients and add in layers. Rip up the tortillas. Add salsa. Use whatever you can find. Finish with cheese. Game meat works especially well, or bison from the grocery store. There is never any left in the pot.

I have learned not to make them too hot. Serve with extra salsa, hot sauce on the table. After camping with people from Texas, sometimes there is Rotel in the pot, Tabacso and hot salsa. It is too hot to eat. Let people add their own extra heat.

TakeAHike

I just made actual enchiladas last night for dinner. They are one of our favorite meals. I am with you Ppine, I let the hubby add his own extra heat because I like mine a little hot and he likes them a lot hot. My father in law gave us some of his "special" pepper mix and a little goes a very long way!

BigSur

See, this is something I've been craving as well. I don't know why but they are better than tacos. Tacos can be good if they're made right though. Smothering anything in sauce and cheese is usually a good thing!

Greatoutdoors

I made these a couple of weeks ago and they were really, really good. I am going to make it again this week and freeze one batch.

CozInCowtown

We do a similar at our house called "Chicken Enchilada Casserole".
Easy and tasty!!

Chicken breast, cooked then chopped.
1 can Rotel "Chili Fixins"
1 can chicken broth
1 can whole corn.
Mix in bowl till creamy.

Layer of corn chips (Doritos) in casserole bowl.
Layer of above mixture
Layer of chips again.
Layer of shredded nacho cheese.
1 more can of water over top to soften chips while baking.
Cover.
Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.
Cool then serve!!

Coz

Treehugger

That sounds absolutely yummy, Blueskyy! But like Carmen, I’ve got to have a little heat added to anything like this. So I’ll just work some Tabasco into the batch. Thank you!

BigSur

Oh by the way, I should mention, a couple of months ago, I made these enchiladas and they were pretty good! If you don't mind the sour cream being the base of the sauce, then you will like it. I love sour cream so I put my Daisy sour cream in, and I was a happy camper! (Literally)

KylieBoK

Hi,
Does anyone have the squash casserole recipe that used to be on the Birdseye frozen squash box? it includes eggs and a few other ingredients.
Thank you

ppine

Forester
For most recipes like this enchilada sauce is really good. Hatch makes the best canned sauce if you do not make your own. It can have plenty of heat for most people. Salsa and hot sauce on the table for the rest.