Chimney Fire

dinosaur

troublemaker
I was called out for a chimney fire today. For those of you who have no idea what this is, it means there has been a buildup of creosote in the chimney that catches fire. Chimney sweeps were used in the old days to avoid this problem. Nowadays there is no such animal.

Usually, when you have a chimney fire, the intelligent thing to do is let it burn. It will burn itself out in about ten minutes if you don't have a real problem caused by neglect.

This one involved a cap which had apparently developed a rather large quantity of creosote and was smoking at a prodigious rate. The owner managed to extricate the cap and tossed it down into the driveway where it burst into flame and burned like a campfire for an hour and a half. It smelled like kerosene and I warmed my hands over it until it finally subsided and we put it back into position on top of the chimney.

What a day! Good to be alive.

jason

fear no beer
That has got to stink. Only had once house with a fire place and only for a few years but had it cleaned about every two years.

Glad to see you were able to help.

Grandpa

I burn wood. Our primary heat is total electric which works well with the wood. When we leave for an extended time and the wood burner goes out, the electric takes over. About once a week, I open all the drafts on the wood burner and let her roar. That takes the creosote out before it has a chance to build up to dangerous levels. I also clean the drop chamber once a month so nothing builds there either. Then each summer I brush the chimney. So far, in 40 years I haven't had a problem. (hear that knocking on wood?)

ppine

Forester
Chimney sweeps are easy to find around here in the phone book. I no longer dampen down the stove at night very much. It is better to let it burn a little hotter and go out than build up creosote. A hot fire, especially one with pitchy pine will create black smoke for about 15 minutes and then burn clean. You can see the creosote being burned up.