Cob Houses

Tubby

I have some undeveloped land that I was wanting to put some sort of shelter on to make a hunting base. I had thought about building a wooden cabin, then I came upon a site that showed how to make a cob house. Do you think it would be a bit better than a wood cabin? I am quite enamored by the idea but I don't want to jump into something without asking if anyone has any experience with them?

hummingbird

I have to agree with Coz. It would be really hard to sell a cob house because it requires more upkeep than the wooden cabin. If you aren't around a cob house all of the time, you wouldn't be able to keep up with the maintenance. Also in a rainy environment, would it hold up over time? If you are in an arid climate, it would be able to stand up, but I'm not sure about a place that has four seasons. Basically, do your homework and see what you think about each.

Sagebrusher

I have to agree with Coz. It would be really hard to sell a cob house because it requires more upkeep than the wooden cabin. If you aren't around a cob house all of the time, you wouldn't be able to keep up with the maintenance. Also in a rainy environment, would it hold up over time? If you are in an arid climate, it would be able to stand up, but I'm not sure about a place that has four seasons. Basically, do your homework and see what you think about each.
There are 500-year old cob houses in rainy England (I hadn't heard of cob houses before, so I wikied it). I am sure they have underwent many repairs in 500 years, though.
Cob (material) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hikenhunter

Not sure why you thought about cob building but if it's something that pleases you and you aren't worried about selling it then I say "GO FOR IT" you only live once. If you are looking to have something rustic and a little bit unconventional you might consider Cord Wood Construction. I've seen pictures of some pretty cool looking cord wood buildings. If you are going to sell it later and you want to get a good price then I would have to agree with Coz and hummingbird.

mamabear

I had to look this one up too. Never heard of a cob house before. They are unique and I like anything unique. Go for the cob house. I think it will serve you well.

hummingbird

There are 500-year old cob houses in rainy England (I hadn't heard of cob houses before, so I wikied it). I am sure they have underwent many repairs in 500 years, though.
Cob (material) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's what I was thinking about Sagebrusher. Are they doing quite a bit of maintenance over the years or are they sturdy enough to resist the weather. They are beautiful and very versatile. I've seen pictures of cob houses that have little shelves molded into the wall as they go. But I do like the cabin better. I guess no matter how much I strive to go against the grain of society, I still conform sometimes. (Darn it!)

Theo

eyebp's mentor
That's what I was thinking about Sagebrusher. Are they doing quite a bit of maintenance over the years or are they sturdy enough to resist the weather. They are beautiful and very versatile. I've seen pictures of cob houses that have little shelves molded into the wall as they go. But I do like the cabin better. I guess no matter how much I strive to go against the grain of society, I still conform sometimes. (Darn it!)
Most of the ones I've seen, have been plastered with a stucco material on the outside and various plasters and varnishes on the inside. Over time, those materials are going to crack but they will seal the cob from the elements.

carmen

You would probably have a better resale on the log cabin over cob..
That is one good reason to stay with log, another for me personally is that I love them. I swear if our next house is not a cabin style I just might need to get a new husband. Some of the cob's are really cute but I would take a cabin over it any day of the week.

Tubby

Thanks everyone. I still haven't decided but I'm glad to have the input. I'm glad to know there are cob houses in England where it does rain a lot and they have survived. I have my own timber so I would be OK on wood. Building wouldn't be a problem for either since I have friends who would help me. I'm intrigued by the cob and haven't tried the building method but I have plenty of raw material that would build that too. It just depends upon whether or not I feel adventurous the day we start building it.