Conflicting Lifestyles

Simplify

Has the outdoor lifestyle ever caused conflict with anyone here when their relatives don't share their enthusiasm for the outdoors?

This has been an issue with me and my mother and siblings for a while. I have a limited amount of vacation time each year and want to spend it either backpacking, long distance cycling, fishing or a combination of the above. I want to see what I can see, go where I can go, experience what I can experience.

My mother takes a week at a time share every year and wants all of us to meet up there. I have gone to it several times and it drives me crazy. They don't do anything at all. They just sit around by the swimming pool all day and eat or go inside and watch stupid TV.. I want to try out local hikes of maybe rent a bike and no one else wants to.

They just sit there by the pool all day and won't even consider doing anything that takes them away from the plugged in world or can be done without being driven around in a tour bus.

If that is all they do on vacation why don't they just stay home and do those things? Eventually I quit going to those get-togethers altogether because I felt like I had wasted my whole vacation.

Grandpa

Even in a predominately outdoor family there are those who prefer not to participate. When we have "those" family gatherings, we try to schedule where the most people have the most opportunity to do what they want. I feel your frustration with your family but I must caution, they are still your family. So, stop by the gathering, kiss mom on the cheek, explain how wonderful your activity is, make the invites to accompany you and then head on down the road to your own thing. I like to take a few minutes and show a few of those special photos of wild animals or pristine alpine lakes and snug campsites, just to let them know what they are missing.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa knows more about family dynamics than most people. His point is very important.

My Mom used to take us all on vacations to some swell spots, the only resort like places I have ever been. Now she is 90 and not in good health so we don't have any more "mom vacations." I miss being by the beach somewhere like Jamaica with people bringing drinks. We always took time out for swimming in the ocean, sailboats, hiking, fishing, riding horses, and riding ATVs. Make the most of your family time, because one of the these days they will be too old and then they will be gone.

I used to hunt with Dad and 2 brothers every fall for years. I have never found better hunting partners even though I have tried lots of other friends.

If your vacation time is limited, go visit the family for 3 days and then do want you want the rest of the time. Having family is an opportunity not a burden.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Join the party. When I was a kid my father got all of us into outdoor activities including fishing, hunting, hiking, and camping. I was the only one of my siblings to really take to it. It stuck with me. I did better in life than anyone expected and made a lot of money.

I like to think that my minimalist philosophy of life had something to do with it. I was satisfied with something less which allowed me to achieve beyond expectations. Never allow anyone to dictate your life or lifestyle. Family is important, but you cannot allow them to dictate your life. Spend a day with them and cut. It's your life and you only get one shot Take it.