Cumberland Gap historical hike

Roybrew

Cumberland Gap is only an hour and some change from where I live, so I have no excuse for not going there sooner. There are sites there that were strategic to the south during the Civil war. Glad I missed out on that time in history. Left Sunday morning and stopped at an overlook on top Clinch mtn where Hwy 25E crosses. This is looking at my home town lake
We started through this covered arch way that serves as an entrance to the Daniel Boone Trail.
Tri-state marker in the gap for Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia
we left the old road bed and headed up to fort McCook. The trail is getting more interesting now
The site of Fort McCook overlooking Middlesboro Kentucky
got her in my sights. The cannon had a year stamp 1861 on the barrel pivot pin. Maybe original civil war cannon? It did have cut grooves in the barrel
Wasn't loaded.

Roybrew

Part 2

We continued on up the trail toward the summit and overlook
we came up on an old home site
the edge of the roof above the cellar door was engraved 1920. Maybe not that old, but interesting with the well and root cellar. Another half mile to go.
At the top
looking down on Lincoln Memorial University in Harriman Tn. We left the car some where down there in Cumberland Gap
There is a road that comes up here from the Kentucky side, but I needed the exercise. Time for some chocolate novaks
Fort Lyon near the over look was another strategic strong hold for the confederate army up here
A rock with some old carvings in it
there were more, but pictures not good. One was 186th co also dated 1861.
this was over 20 feet tall. This is south end of 25E where enters the tunnel, hwy is middle left of picture
north end middle right
Time to go
I hope you enjoyed the trip with me and the misses.