Custom Knives - A Luxury?

BGreen

I have a couple that were made for my father. He passed them along to me. I doubt I'd ever go to the expense of having my own made, but I do love using these ones. There's something about the way they fit into your hand. Dad's knives cut like butter, too.

EmberMike

I'm getting to the point where a custom knife might just be in the cards for me, since I've been having trouble finding a production knife that covers all of the criteria I'm looking for. But even then, I've got my limits. $300-400 max is the most I'd pay for a custom knife. And the knife maker I'd probably have do it works within that price range, so it's do-able for me.

But I'd never pay anywhere near that for a production knife like a Sebbie. That's just crazy.

Newanderthal

I have two. The first is a skinning knife from a guy in Austin. Beautiful piece and the handle fits perfectly. It reminds me of the Baretta 92 grip in how it fits the hand of anyone who holds it (the handle looks nothing like the handle of a pistol). It's a unique piece that's different from all his other skinners.

The second is a kukri that my girlfriend ordered from Nepal. She made me write out the description and measurements. It's a big, heavy, hideous piece of work but it's also indestructible and splits wood as well as my Gerber hatchet.

There's a certain appeal to owning a one-of-a-kind item, knowing you have something that no one else in the world has. A certain pride.