Custom Knives - A Luxury?

Gondor

Do you buy custom knives ever? They can be insanely expensive. Not that anything is wrong with serial production, custom knives have their own feeling because behind each one there is a smith pouring his skills in it.

TakeAHike

I guess I don't have to worry too much about the cost because we are lucky enough to know someone who makes custom knives for a living. He has a shop near us and gives us a good price.

woodsman

I have one, it's not exactly the prettiest thing in the world, but it's a good beater knife. I always lug it around when we go camping. If it were a Busse however, I'd probably never really use it.

ppine

Forester
I have several custom knives. Most are made by makers from out of the way places in Wyo and CO. They were not that much more than factory knives and I treasure each one of them.

Barney

Custom knives can be great but some cases are just moronic in a lack of a better word. I saw that Chris Reeve Sebenza, some anniversary edition, went to $2500.

oldsarge

It's getting ridiculous with those prices. Especially on a folder! The most I ever paid for a knife was $460, that was a Jim Lile First run production of the "First Blood" knife in 1983. But I guess if your a collector, the money doesn't matter. Hell, I've seen idiots buy beannie babies at highly inflated prices just because someone said they were worth something.

Penelope

I know a man who makes custom knives out of deer antlers and car springs. They are amazing to see. He sells some of them, but keeps most. He also makes leather sheaths for them.

I remember visiting when I was a teen. I do not know what he uses to grind the antlers down, but the process stinks to high heaven. You never forget this kind of smell. It smells like burning hair only ten times stronger.

oldsarge

I know a man who makes custom knives out of deer antlers and car springs. They are amazing to see. He sells some of them, but keeps most. He also makes leather sheaths for them.

I remember visiting when I was a teen. I do not know what he uses to grind the antlers down, but the process stinks to high heaven. You never forget this kind of smell. It smells like burning hair only ten times stronger.
I'd love to see pictures! Of the knives that is...I don't want to get slapped!

woodsman

Custom knives can be great but some cases are just moronic in a lack of a better word. I saw that Chris Reeve Sebenza, some anniversary edition, went to $2500.
I'd argue it's only moronic if you can't afford it and buy it anyway. You have to realize these knives are made for collectors not for Joe Sixpack. Some people collect stamps, some knives.

ppine

Forester
Woodsman,
I have bought some great custom knives for under $100 that are great using knives. My neighbor is in construction, but he has a knife he paid $400 for and takes it everywhere. Some people have different priorities than the average person.

Penelope

Funny, I wish I had some! I may be able to find some pictures of them on his Facebook page. If I do, I will post them. They really are something to see.

OldSarge said:

I'd love to see pictures! Of the knives that is...I don't want to get slapped!

Last edited: