CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) in deer

jason

fear no beer
So at while working at night I have been listening to podcasts to help pass the time (and learn useless information). The past week I listened to an interesting Podcast on the Joe Rogan Experience. He is talking with Doug Duren is a passionate hunter, farmer, land manager and conservationist and Bryan Richards is the CWD project leader for the U.S. Geological Survey's National Wildlife Health Center.

They are discussing CWD in deer. Anyone here familiar with this?

Wikipedia has this to say about CWD:
Most cases of CWD occur in adult animals; the youngest animal diagnosed with natural CWD was 17 months. The disease is progressive and always fatal. The first signs are difficulties in movement. The most obvious and consistent clinical sign of CWD is weight loss over time. Behavioral changes also occur in the majority of cases, including decreased interactions with other animals, listlessness, lowering of the head, tremors, repetitive walking in set patterns, and nervousness. Excessive salivation and grinding of the teeth also are observed. Most deer show increased drinking and urination; the increased drinking and salivation may contribute to the spread of the disease.

From the little bit I learned on the podcast is interesting. I do wonder if it will ever transfer to humans and what that will mean for the hunting community.

If you wish to listen to the podcast you can find it on youtube.

Grandpa

I hope it don't transfer to humans but.....my neighbors dear wife has been fighting something for over a year. It has nearly killed her several times, or at least the stuff the doctors have been doing nearly killed her. They finally found the cause. Parvo. Yep, the same parvo dogs get. So, I hope CWD doesn't progress to humans. However, some of those symptoms seem to be showing up in todays teenagers. (laugh, I'm joking...at least about the teenagers)

ppine

Forester
CWD or a related problem shows up in elk and moose. It is really sad to see video of animals in the advanced stages of the disease. I have yet to see it in the wild.