Deer Hunting With Bow or Gun

Which do you hunt with?

• Bow

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Gun

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

Camping Out

Which do you prefer when you go deer hunting? Bow or Gun? I personally prefer the bow, as I feel I have better stability and it is a cleaner kill. Guns just don't feel right to me. What about you?

outsideman13

I still have buck fever, so I like guns. Plus, I'm not strong enough to pull those bows. I want to bow hunt when I am immune to buck fever though. Probably have to work out a lot to be able to pull anything over 40 lbs.

Bushman

I've always hunted with a gun, but I have always admired bow hunters. I would love to learn how to bow hunt a deer. I imagine it would take more concentration and skill to drop a deer with a bow and arrow.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Sorry to dig up an old thread ....

I have always hunted with a 30-.06 for large game or a shotgun for foul as far as firearms go, but this year I am determined to bow hunt so I chose the bow hunt option on the poll.

Any bow hunters here? Any tips you can offer? I guess I would be considered an okay shot, not great, but not terrible either.

I just picked up a #50 @28" custom recurve (take down) yesterday and I absolutely love it. It draws a little stiffer than the old long bow I used to shoot, but I suspect I will get used to it if the shoulder stiffness doesn't get me first.

This thing hits pretty hard for a #50 bow!

jason

fear no beer
Well I have not started hunting, yet. I would love to learn.

That being said, I have a recurve bow that is just fun as heck to shoot. I do not get to use it very often, so I'm not good. So that leaves me with a gun. No offense to the gun shooters here, but I think it is easier to shoot a gun then a bow. I would love to get good enough with a bow to hunt with it though.

MR "T"

I've done both. You MUST practise with the BOW! Your muscles build up & cordination gets much better!
The real advantage, in California, is the LOW number of Hunters in the woods, during Bow Season! Plus NO guns shots to scare the heck out of game!
I shot my first deer with a "BOW",@ 15 ft!
He didn't see or hear me,& he ran about 80 yds. I think a rifle or big bore handgun, would be a Quicker, cleaner kill?

Stevealb

Steve Albers
My preference is the bow, I can hunt from mid September to mid January execpt for the 10 day firearms season, which gives my stands a chance to rest. I used to firearm hunt mostly when living in California, however since moving to Missouri have become much more passionate about archery hunting. I will still hunt during firearms season if I have spotted a good buck and not been able to get him close enough to shoot with my bow, but preference is the bow.

CRhoads

I've always been a rifle hunter. I recently picked up a Parker Hunter Mag w/ a 60lb draw. I've been practicing with it every chance I have been able to get. I'm excited about trying out archery hunting. Not to mention the tags are over the counter here in AZ. No wait to see if you get drawn.

td_porter

I personally hunt with a rifle but i bought a new bow recently and will hunt with both next fall. I think both will work well if you practice you marksmanship and know the limitations of your equipment. My dad and two brothers often make quick, lethal shots with their bows, but they've practiced to a great extent over the years. If you leave the animal lay down for 20 minutes, they often go only 50 yards. In my opinion the firearm is easier to learn and is more likely to kill faster, but I look forward to mastering the bow and the increased challenge it brings. My brothers tell me that they ALWAYS see more deer during bow season, as there is less pressure from other hunters at that time.

sh4d0wm4573ri7

I much prefer Bow hunting and own a compound a recurve and a long bow preferring the recurve or long bow nowadays for simplicity

greensteelforge

Philosophically speaking, I like bowhunting for it's unobtrusive qualities. I cannot for the life of me understand, though, where someone got the idea that archery is cleaner-killing than a rifle. As a practical matter, I'll always choose a rifle if given the option. It's allot easier to get the meat in range with a gun than it is with a bow.

Dougdad

archeryaddict
Good point Green, but that is exactly what most people find so addicting about bow hunting is the chalange of getting so close. There is a real adrenilin rush associated with it that just can not be replaced. I know, I am addicted, I find gun season a bore but do it anyway for the meat, the exercise and of course just being out in nature with my friends. This last year do to age and artheritis I have been forced to hang up the trusty old compound that I love so much and opt for the next best thing, a crossbow. I have been hunting deer for 40 years and the close up and personal is what it is all about, if a guy or gal gets a deer with a bow, they have worked for it. I have been archery hunting for 28 years and have managed to harvest a doe almost every year but the bucks seemed to allude me, untill this year, I finely broke the ice with a 4 point, nothing tramendious but a buck. We will se what next year brings!

RabbyTat

Been all over, but MS and LA at the moment
I hunt with muzzleloading guns, generally with flintlock rifle or smoothbore depending upon my mood.

I build my own guns, cast my own round balls from a lead pot and then walk in and out on my own. For me, it is all about the enjoyment of the method rather than anything else.

Erwin

I hunt both and add muzzle loader to the list. I love hunting and I have got 4 deer this year. I just got one last night and it was the first buck in 2 years. I am happy with my 7 pt. and lots of venison for the winter!