DIY field Sharpening

Barney

Nice setup. I like how he solved the problem of loose sandpaper, nice touch really. I wonder if anything similar is out there on the market?

oldsarge

I can admire his craftsmanship and ingenuity, but I would never sharpen my knife from the grind. What ever happened to that 20-30º edge. This guy is hogging his knife away. I definitely won't be doing this!

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I can admire his craftsmanship and ingenuity, but I would never sharpen my knife from the grind. What ever happened to that 20-30º edge. This guy is hogging his knife away. I definitely won't be doing this!
Scandi grinds don't typically have a micro bevel on the edge. There are pros and cons to putting a micro bevel on a scandi grind. I never could tell much difference, myself. I've got a couple of old Moras that are 30+ years old and there is still plenty of edge left. As my hands get worse, I sure do appreciate the scandi grind.

Gondor

Scandi grinds don't typically have a micro bevel on the edge. There are pros and cons to putting a micro bevel on a scandi grind. I never could tell much difference, myself. I've got a couple of old Moras that are 30+ years old and there is still plenty of edge left. As my hands get worse, I sure do appreciate the scandi grind.
I add a convex micro bevel to scandi to make it tougher if the scandi itself is too shallow or/and the steel is too soft. You can call it scandivex grind.

Gondor

You decide on the angle which is basically how sharp you want your knife. Weaker steels need steeper angles. That is why I hate fixed angle sharpening.

Barney

I add a convex micro bevel to scandi to make it tougher if the scandi itself is too shallow or/and the steel is too soft. You can call it scandivex grind.
I hand sharpen myself and therefore set my own angles. Stronger edge will be a duller edge, no questions about it and vice versa. It requires some skill.