Do You Camp by a River?

Ms. Nibbles

When you go camping, do you prefer to camp beside a river? I used to think that was really neat until I read about that flash flood last summer that roared through a campground and many people lost their lives because they couldn't get out. I think I'll stick to lakeside campgrounds or ones out in the woods.

OB-1

I always pick the river. That would suck, but I love the riverside. Everything about it: the sound, the space, the view. Can't worry about things like that.

rdowns

I love camping by the river. One of my favorite places is on the Tellico River in southeast TN. You just have to keep an eye on the weather.

CampBound.com

Be sure to also keep an eye on the weather far upriver. Flash floods can travel far downriver and occur far from the rain. I got trapped by flash flood in Canyon De Chelly and it was sunny where we were hiking, no sign of rain from our vantage point.

Mysty1

I love to camp no matter what, but if I have a choice then it would always be by the water. I believe we need to take the time to plan and be prepared for anything but if we worried about every type of accident that could happen we'd never drive, fly, walk or even walk down the street.

truck927

When you go camping, do you prefer to camp beside a river? I used to think that was really neat until I read about that flash flood last summer that roared through a campground and many people lost their lives because they couldn't get out. I think I'll stick to lakeside campgrounds or ones out in the woods.
Yah but that hardly ever happens that quick unless your sleeping on the river bed itself

Chary

It is a problem with flash flooding. I live out west and it can be beautiful where you are, but if it rains anywhere up above you there can be a terrible flash flood where you are without you ever seeing a cloud in the sky. It can be very dangerous.

Gravel bar camping out of a canoe on an Ozark river or western river is my favorite. I have done it safely for over 42 years. Always camp on a high bar with an escape route, no islands or bars that will become an island in high water. Use good judgement and watch the weather patterns and reports. Don't fear it, just use your head!

Chippin

I love to camp by a river when given the chance, but yes, it can be dangerous. I've been lucky enough that I narrowly missed a flash flood back in Tennessee. I got out of the campground right before the flood happened.

But the positives outweigh the negatives to me. There's just so much to admire when you snatch a spot to yourself.

woodsman

Wheal it kind of depends on the area I'm camping in and the time of year. If the river is notorious for flash floods than I'll probably keep my distance, otherwise there is nothing more reinvigorating than waking up and going for a swim :).

Refrigerator

There is nothing to compare to the sound of rushing water and nature to the mind and soul. Very nice and comforting. I have some of my best sleep time camping near a river or stream.

JDSport

I like camping next to any body of water be it a pond, lake, river, or ocean! I have not run into any issues but we don't get flash floods in the areas I camp so I guess I am lucky.

Jade

I love to be near the water's edge, but know better: we always find a place to pitch camp that is above any sign of water/flooding from past events, but allows us the view and sounds we seek from the water.

Tony

I love to camp near streams and brooks but I make sure that I am on the elevated area. I can't predict flash floods so it is better safe than sorry. What are the first signs of flash flood anyway?

le Metis

I love to camp near streams and brooks but I make sure that I am on the elevated area. I can't predict flash floods so it is better safe than sorry. What are the first signs of flash flood anyway?

You need to be aware of what weather is happening upstream, the river's water shed, water levels, clarity, sounds, and any dam releases...

Besides checking the weather, here's a site that I use before heading out...

USGS Real-Time Water Data for Virginia

IndianaHiker

Another thing to consider when camping near a river or body of water is its effect on the temp and dew in the morning hours. Being a backpacker I live to stop for the night near water. Makes it easier to resupply in the morning.

Hayley

Sure. We love to camp by the river. Obviously, we make good decisions. If there is a known danger, we'll camp elsewhere, but on a normal trip, yes, for sure.

dinosaur

troublemaker
We're talking about the weather here, right? Your bed in your house is a potentially dangerous site. It depends on the weather.

Amelie

I would choose to camp by a river every time. I hadn't heard about the flash fllood event - but surely a daily weather forecast is the best way to avoid getting into a dangerous situation?