Do YOU have to have the best equipment for camping/hiking? Opinions...

Mudslide

Let me just tell you what Ive got (mainly for hiking) accumulated over the years and still using:

My ROKK backpack...Its 4200 ci and has seen thousands of trail miles over the years. It weighs about 3 lbs I believe. I bought it for about 60 bucks at a ebay store a few years ago and still going strong.

50 degree ultralight sleeping bag from Sportsmans guide years ago still ready for a bunch more trips. I think I paid 20 to 30 bucks on sale.

0 degree ultralight bag Sportsmans guide (weighs 3 lbs not bad) bought on sale for 50 shmackers.

I did get a few things like my stove at REI and water bladder but thats about it.
I actually wish some of my gear would wear out but it just wont die!!!!

Anybody else mindful of saving a few bucks without going to cheap?:tinysmile_grin_t:

ppine

Forester
Most people are mindful of how much equipment costs. Wishing your stuff would wear out is... stupid. Live with what you have, or buy new stuff and give your old stuff to someone that can use it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
As usual, my friend ppine is being a bit (just a bit) severe in his analysis. I don't think Mudslide is praying for gear to wear out. I think rather that the hope is to use it so much that it does wear out.

On the other hand, Mudslide might enjoy shopping for new toys as many of us do.

ChadTower

I could not care less how much my pack can carry. All I need is for it to carry enough.

Same with most of my gear. The specs don't matter to me. Can it do what I need it to do? Is my spoon titanium or plastic? Did I even bring one? Sometimes I use a stick. Stuff like that. I am definitely not a gear person.

CozInCowtown

Buy the best you can afford and be thankful for what you have.
When it wears out replace it with the best your budget can afford.
I personally never had to have the "best" or "most" or anything else that made me the top of whatever pile people thought I need to be on top of.
Most of that "best" stuff is more status that useful.
There is a lot to be said for an ALICE pack.
JMO,
Coz

Mudslide

Most people are mindful of how much equipment costs. Wishing your stuff would wear out is... stupid. Live with what you have, or buy new stuff and give your old stuff to someone that can use it.
Wow...deep breaths calm down, yeah I wasnt being literal by saying I wish my stuff would actually wear out. I was making an analysis of how long my cheap lightweight gear has lasted with a bit of humor/sarcasm instead of buying the top of the line gear.

Dang nevermind....just trying to start an active topic sheesh.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Mudslide

I could not care less how much my pack can carry. All I need is for it to carry enough.

Same with most of my gear. The specs don't matter to me. Can it do what I need it to do? Is my spoon titanium or plastic? Did I even bring one? Sometimes I use a stick. Stuff like that. I am definitely not a gear person.
Specs dont matter to me either. I was saying what I had in the gear closet and what kind others have decided to use (gear) over the years. I should have worded my post different I guess...:tinysmile_grin_t:

frank6160

I second Coz's reply.
Buy what you can afford but look at intended use and how often it will be used. Just because it cost the most doesn't always mean it's better for a particular job than a less expensive model. Much of my gear is Coleman and I know how many of you feel about it. It fit's my budget and does what I ask of it. What more should I need?

Newanderthal

REI Flash Pack is a great example of an inexpensive item that performs well. It's a lightweight pack (bordering on ultralight) that is comfortable and durable. It's the foundation of my 15 lb. 2-3 day setup.

ponderosa

I spent my childhood backpacking with big trash bags for rain gear, and a bulky sleeping bag that had to be strapped outside an ill-fitting pack purchased at KMart. And I had such a great time, that backpacking remains an obsession for me.
But...I have come to appreciate good gear that does its job and keeps me comfortable. I like my pack to really fit well. I love my cozy, compressible, lightweight down sleeping bag. My down-insulated air mat beats the old blue closed cell foam mat all to pieces in every possible way (except cost of course). It's lovely to spend a storm enjoying the sounds and smells, rather than worrying that the tent might leak, blow away, or break in the wind. So I like good, trustworthy, dependable gear. But it doesn't have to be the most expensive. I find that Kelty and REI make good backpacking tents that compare well to MSR or Marmot for significantly less $. The comfiest backpack I've used is a Jansport (although deuter has an UL women's model that I'd really like to test drive). I'm actually happier hiking in light trail shoes than expensive overbuilt boots.
So, no, I don't have to have the most expensive top of the line stuff. But the gear does need to perform well.

DuctTape

The cheapest gear is knowledge and the most expensive is lack thereof.

The best gear is that which provides you with the most enjoyment. Some like new toys, some like getting by without something. If any gear decision helps you enjoy yourself, then all is good.

steves

I do my research then choose,trying not to look at the prices too much. If I start looking at prices I always shoot for the middle,so I try to look at function and comfort 1st. Sometimes it ends up at the lower price range and other times at the top side,as long as it works well and lasts I'm ok with it.
I hate the fact that every year everything is better,improved and need to have when it stops serving my needs is when it gets replaced weather it's a upgrade or a lesser unit.

woodsman

The best is a relative term, I'm usually always on a budget, but when I buy something I make sure it's something that will last. I'd rather spend an extra 20 bucks and know that something will last me for the next decade, than keep buying a new one every 3 months because it's cheap.

Grandpa

When it comes to backpacking gear, the more you spend the less you get. Weight is the big issue, especially after you turn 65 years old. However, I still look for the bargain and try to get the least "bang for my buck" on backpacking gear. I still often carry a 3 lb tent I paid $29 dollars for. It is plenty big for the dog and I and gives all the protection we need from a summer thundershower.

If it is a backcountry elk hunt you can bet I lay my head in a solid canvas tent that may costs hundreds but will withstand several inches of snow and gives me room to get dressed in all that outdoor cold weather clothing. This is where the Springbar/Kodiak tents really make their cost worthwhile. Mine is a 10 x 14 canvas wall tent with 5 ft sidewalls. (I bought this particular one in a thrift store for $5.)

ppine

Forester
I like ponderosa's post. I have rarely ever purchased the best that I can afford. I buy dependable equipment that can be counted on. I began backpacking in 1962 with stuff from the military suplus store, cast iron frying pans, kapok sleeping bags and tube tents carried in a Trapper Nelson.

The outdoors are deadly serious to me. Nature is my religion. Being outside has been a way of life, a vocation and a mental health plan. Sorry if I missed the humor and sarcasm.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
Some items I use are the best, some are middle of the road. I don't believe in owning junk. Items that are high dollar are sleeping bag, water filter, packpack, and boots. I sleep warm, never been sick from bad water, have light pack that allows me to carry 2 more lbs of gear without adding weight, and have good feet at end of the day. Not gonna cut any corners there. But clothes, cookware, stove and shelter are average stuff with an eye out for light weight. Really not a label concious guy, but I want good value.
I remember the high school days with 45 lbs of mostly army surplus gear. Now I have 14 lbs and twice as much stuff in the pack. Money and technology sure changes things.

ChadTower

Water filter - I carry an old army surplus canteen and a bottle of iodine. I've never been sick from bad water either. There are a ton of ways to do everything.

I have also never had a small wound become infected while I'm out because I have a bottle of iodine with me. :)

bearz

I'm willing to put in more money on things that are super important like sleeping bags, tents, and good hiking shoes. Of course I would do some research first to make sure the quality is there before I drop top dollars. Things that would go mid range to low end would be cookware and clothes. And i don't exactly look for brands. If it works, it's good enough for me.

YC2013

I guess it would really depend on how much you really use the gear. My husband is still using stuff he bought or his father had bought him when he was a kid in the 70's, in fact he is a real stickler about anyone messing with or using his stuff, I think because its sentimental.
Now we buy the best we can when we need something but within our budget but we research it well first. sometimes it may seem cheap but he always finds stuff that works good and lasts but then sometimes its dogon expensive and doesn't seem to last as long as something cheaper or stuff that is inexpensive. we stay away from rei, he always says your just paying for the name there, which in most cases you are and its no better than things that are sold in some cheaper sporting good stores.

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I buy what I think will suit me needs at the time...and cost is a factor.

As a twelve-year-old, I bought a WW II Army surplus backpack...the kind that would completely open up. That's how you loaded it...opened it up...laid what you could on it...then re-fold it up and secure it with the straps.

I even had the Army mess kit with it. I also used the Army pistol belt and carried the the Army canteen on it.

Then I went to a packbasket. This was more for trapping than camping...but it served all uses.

Since I can only UTE camp anymore (and seldom at that), I use my smaller backpack only when on AMTRAK...(which is my second vehicle!).

When afield and away from the UTE, I carry only my GHB sling-pack on my back...with an Army surplus gas mask shoulder bag for additional incidentals, if needed.