Do you prefer to go hiking alone or to always have someone with you?

NatureGal

Personally, I would never hike alone. I always have my boyfriend or someone close to me come with me for my safety and I just really don't want to go alone. Plus, I have no sense of direction, so I would probably get lost if I went on my own, haha.

Grandpa

It's all good. Once I agreed to carry a tracker, grandma lets me disappear solo for days at a time. I love hiking my own speed and distance, laying over when I want, investigating everything unusual, and just forgetting the troubles of the world.

However, a group of like minded friends and family makes a nice trip as well. I've only had a couple of less than happy experiences with another hiker. I just ignore their faults and continue enjoying that which is good. The opportunity just to be out yondering is too precious to waste stewing about anothers idiocy and the pleasure of sharing the moment with friends or family outweighs never hiking with others.

wvbreamfisherman

Either way. Both good, but different. Fun to share things with a hiking buddy, but also fun to have time to get familiar with yourself again.

It's a LOT safer to hike with someone (plus you have someone to share the load ;-) ). I go out alone, but I'm careful to leave a hiking plan and follow it. I also try to check in with a text message now and then, if I can find service (not real easy except on the highest ridges).

Somewhere down the road, I'll probably get a tracker just for everyone's peace of mind.

offtrail

Mostly by myself, my friends would rather sit around and drink beer, not me. So I go by myself and use the point and shoot camera to record my adventures. It's kind of like having another person there, and you get to share the video or pics with others on the net.

Grandpa

Somewhere down the road, I'll probably get a tracker just for everyone's peace of mind.
I was coerced into carrying a tracker by grandma and the kids. Now I love it. I used to leave detailed itineraries, with a, b, and c options in case of late snow or high water. Now, I just send an OK at the trailhead so they know where I am starting and let the tracker send out a location every ten minutes. (in reality, it varies from 2-20 minutes, depending on signal strength.) This has given me a world of freedom. Now, I can vary my plans at will, knowing they can track my location if something does go wrong. The add on extaction insurance is also a peace of mind if I should need a helicopter ride back to my car.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Hikenhunter

Sharing the trail experience with a couple of close friends is great when you can. I decided a while back that I wasn't waiting till someone had the time or the inclination to go with me as too many trips don't get done that way. This means that many trips will and are taken solo Except that when I am hiking/backpacking my dependable four footed pal Copper is always by my side, and that is enough for me.

Bojib

I do both. However, I do enjoy to company of another when someone will go. It's usually my wife or my sister that goes on hiking trips with me. It's nice to have the company.

But, sometimes they have other plans so I go it alone. I don't mind the peace and quiet either. I enjoy the solitude and quiet contemplation it brings.

campclose

I mostly go with someone. I think it is safer this way. You never know when you might need help. Yes I know that is what cell phones are for.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Ive been hiking alone, but so far not overnight alone. I wouldn't bother me. I'm more likely to carry some sort of personal protective device when alone. There is Safety in numbers…

Despite the fact that I used to wander around in the woods just fine by myself at all hours of the day and night as a kid, my family gets highly distressed when I take solo hikes. "What if you broke a leg and a bear came after you," etc, etc, that kind of nonsense. On smaller, shorter hikes, I like going by myself. I need the quiet.

ppine

Forester
The experience of hiking with friends is a chance for socialization and shared experiences. You have a support group. Hiking solo increases the chances for self-awareness and decision making.

Both are good and people that only hike one way should try the other. I used to backpack solo a lot when younger. Now I mostly do day hikes solo.

I miss my dog, and will soon be shopping for a new one. Hiking with dogs is the best of all worlds a lot of the time. I do like hiking with other people that bring good dogs.

Last edited:
Ppine, I got a little misty-eyed reading that. I had a schnauzer that was a surprisingly hardy little fellow. There are lots of woods where I live, and he'd scope out the trail ahead and bark if I didn't keep pace with him. He loved hikes. I hope you're able to find a good trail companion.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I hike about 40 percent of the time alone, 40 percent of the time with my wife and the other 20 or so percent with groups. I enjoy them all.