Do You Think You Could Survive?

Scotty

What do you think? I think I could probably do it but I wouldn't be terribly comfortable or at times very well fed. I know I could gather things during the summer and fall, but during the winter, it would have to be eating on the stores I had put by and on animals I caught/hunted. Shelter would be OK. I could do that very well. I think I've been watching too many "end of the civilized world" movies. But it does make you think.

carmen

I think it would depend on the type of winter for me, the lighter the better. I do not move nearly as quick as I used to and I am sure I would need to learn a little as I go for some stuff (mainly improvising for certain things I would need that I might not have, weapons wise/hunting wise).

oldsarge

In a tropical climate I know I could. Cold winter climates would give me a run for my money. Desert environments would be the hardest I think.

hummingbird

I have to agree, Old Sarge. I would do fine in spring, summer and fall. When winter showed it's ugly head I, like Scotty, would have a problem unless I had been able to find adequate food that I was able to preserve in some way. If I had weapons or could make weapons, I would be able to hunt, but if I didn't have any, I'd be up a creek. It's a whole different matter if you are doing this for a couple of weeks as a hobby and really having to make do on your own.

Grandpa

I would probably be less miserable in the mountains than the tropics. There are places in the Rocky Mountain wilderness's where survival would be fairly easy if survival could ever be easy.

Blueskyy

I think I would do okay. The winter would certainly be harder than other times of year, but I think I could adapt pretty well. You can always learn more though!

Hikenhunter

Yes in the eastern forests I am at home there. In the nortern and western mountains I think I would be fine. In the tropics I'm not sure I would last as long.In the far north or far south I think I would Perish in a short while.

ppine

Forester
I think you all have been lulled into compacency watching people survive for a week as a part of a TV show. Surviving thru a winter is not in the cards. The other seasons would be tough enough. Most modern urban people would give up mentally way before they get in real trouble.

How many people on the forum have ever even been camping for more than 2 weeks, a month or several months? Very few. It is all fun and games in your imagination.

ladymtnwalker

How many people on the forum have ever even been camping for more than 2 weeks, a month or several months? Very few. It is all fun and games in your imagination.
At one time, we were homeless for 3 weeks, and survived just fine, and have backpacked for 11-12 days, and now, we are better educated, and I'm positive we would be able to survive, especially here in Western WA. We have mild winters usually, so that would not be an issue.

oldsarge

I think you all have been lulled into compacency watching people survive for a week as a part of a TV show.

I wouldn't say all, it may be insulting to some. It is all fun and games reading, watching videos and TV to gather knowledge. How else do you learn it before you put it into practice. It's an on going learning experience. I believe the topic was about surviving not camping. With proper resources you could camp indefinitely. In a survival situation there's no telling how long you could last with all the uncertain elements that could arise. We survive with the hope of self rescue or rescue by others. One has to know their limitations and strive to improve. Easier said than done.

southerngal

The winters here are not that bad and I think as long as we built a half way decent shelter that we would be okay. We know what local edibles there are, and my husband is an excellent hunter so I know that we wouldn't starve.

That was very well said Old Sarge. Everyone has to start their learning process in order to become proficient, and a lot of us do actually go into the wilderness and put into practice what we have learned.

Last edited:

oldsarge

Everyone has to start their learning process in order to become proficient, and a lot of us do actually go into the wilderness and put into practice what we have learned.
Exactly! We all don't have the opportunities as others have to venture out in the wilderness and put or skills to the test. But we all can research and learn what we can. One good point about this forum is that we have a wealth of knowledge to draw from. I truly appreciate when others share their experiences and comment on different issues. Whether it be gear related, or places to camp hike or climb, it's all knowledge!

Gondor

I would probably be less miserable in the mountains than the tropics. There are places in the Rocky Mountain wilderness's where survival would be fairly easy if survival could ever be easy.
I would definitely agree with that. Plenty of animals to hunt for and a lot of resources available, that is, if you know how to procure and utilize them properly.

Barney

I just hope I could survive such event or any event for that matter. I would also prefer mountains than any other environment because I'm so used to them.

Tubby

I think you all have been lulled into compacency watching people survive for a week as a part of a TV show. Surviving thru a winter is not in the cards. The other seasons would be tough enough. Most modern urban people would give up mentally way before they get in real trouble.

That's the thing. I'm not urban. I am distinctly anti urban. We don't have TV. We heat with wood. I have oil lanterns for when the electric goes out and I wouldn't miss the electric that much. We could cook on the wood stove, eat from our stores and I could hunt and trap during the winter. We can all of our garden surplus and any other things we're given. We make "leather britches", or dried green beans. We also fish and have the freezer full. If we didn't have electric, we could survive on the dried beans and canned goods we have as well as what I could hunt or fish for. We don't have terribly hard winters and the waters don't freeze here. We do have some periods of snow, but the majority of the winter the ponds are not frozen. We have horses to travel with and dogs that could help us hunt. My wife spins yarn, knits and crochets. She can also sew and has her Granny's treadle sewing machine. It would be hard, I have no doubt, but we could do it. You get used to the conveniences of life today but we still stay close to the basics here.

3ofusnow

I am fairly confident that we would be okay. Typically our winters are fairly mild and we are pretty resourceful. We have never been homeless like LadyMtn. but we have had zero income for an extended period of time. Not everyone is a lazy couch potato Ppine, hence all of us being here on an outdoor forum.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Surviving and living are two different things. I could probably survive just about anything but you couldn't pay me to live that way.

Judy Ann

No, probably not for any length of time. I am considered necessary personnel and would report to work per my job description with the exception of biological warfare. Should that or any other creepy life threatening organism invade my region, I would prefer to grab the backpack and my dog and watch another sunrise and sunset atop the highest peak within a tank of gas. I would probably survive bartering services, but I would never begin to count on it. I believe in something better after this life.