Do You Use A Helmet When Riding

DMan

Although we do have mountain bikes, my wife and I are pretty tame when we ride, mainly sticking to off the beaten track trails or roads. I hate to admit that we don't always wear our helmets, but it depends on where we're riding. If we are on a heavy traffic road we do though. How about you?

oldsarge

I never wear a helmet while bike riding. I'm not a wild man on the trails, taking it easy is the name of the game for me. Yes...anything can happen but where do you draw the line. I've heard of people in Chicago getting nailed by falling ice from the tall buildings, even loose stone or concrete. I don't see them wearing any protection...and they're out there every day walking around.

Lovefall

I don't wear one either but I make sure the kids do (it is a law and it's safe). I have several family members that do wear them (adults) - I just don't.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I wear one because you never know. I'm not that pretty but I've had my head for a long time and have grown rather fond of it.

catspa

I don't, but I'd stand up for your right to decide to wear one. I also ride on trails and dirt roads - riding on roads with car traffic makes me very nervous.

Parker

racoon

Yes, I do, ever since my cousin crashed on her bike. She hit her head and was knocked out. It is better safe than sorry.

Grandpa

There's a saying "if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room". But people who LIVE on the edge take advantage of personal protective equipment.

ponderosa

I didn't used to. They are really annoying. After seeing the serious brain injuries of a few folks who went over the handle bars (not hard to do if your front tire hits a rock hard), I wear one. I still hate it, but I wear it. Brain injuries just really suck.

Bumpkin

I wear a helmet no matter where I am riding for the simple reason that I am the clumsiest person I know. I'm one of those people who should probably wear a helmet just to walk around my house. :D

ChadTower

Yep. On my racing bike it's obvious but even when tooling around with my kids. I am one of those people who once went over their handlebars and ended up with a concussion. Got hit in the backwheel by a car (that did not stop) and I don't remember much else that day. I do sort of remember walking my bike back home with a bent rear wheel. I sort of remember discovering I had hit my head by going into the bathroom to wash up and discovering that my head, face, and shirt were covered in blood. I sort of remember throwing up and I have no idea what happened between that and a neighbor bringing me to the ER.

Wear your helmet. I had done thousands of miles on my bike and "it wasn't going to happen to me." When it did my skill level was irrelevant. I was hit from behind and that was that. Head injury.

jason

fear no beer
Not as often as I should. There are not many good trails to ride on around here. But I used to wear one every time I took my bike to work. On some busy roads, and even with the lights when riding at night, I still did not trust drivers.

Remp

I never really wear one.. Maybe I should :D I'm not a mountain biker, I'm only going to work by bike every day, but that's still dangerous because I'm going trough traffic. But when I really should wear one is when I'm going on a longer trip to the mountains with my friends... we are road biker's, and it's quiet dangerous when cars pass us at insane speeds..

clewand550

I know that I should be wearing a helmet when I am riding but I don't I have never worn a helmet when riding. I have heard of some major injuries which should make me nervous enough to make me want to wear a helmet.

rachallen

Oh good, I am glad I am not the only person who does not wear a helmet. If I were going to do some real biking, I probably would, but I usually just ride for fun and don't even think about it. I always make sure my sons where a helmet though. My 9 year old hates it and he probably notices that I don't wear one come to think of it.

dashboardc33

I never wear my helmet. I have always disliked them since I was a kid because they are not the "cool" thing to wear. I suppose if I ever was mountain biking somewhere dangerous I would probably wear a helmet. However, like you, my mountain biking is pretty tame.

I do require that my 2 year old wear a helmet though, and I probably will until she is older. She is going to hate it when she is old enough to realize that it is "uncool", but it could save her life someday.

MissyKitty

A helmet is a must! I used to ride without it, but after i fell and got a nasty hit to my forehead, i started wearing a helmet all the time. I found a very cool looking helm that fits me perfectly and i have been using every time i ride.
It has already saved me a few times. If you are not wearing one yet, i suggest you get one before it is too late.

aldove

When I was young, I never wore one before because I only ride on my bike through the neighborhood. Maybe I would wear one if I was asked to join with my friends for a mountain biking session.